Thread: Firefox 2.0.0.9 blocked

wck Guest

Default Firefox 2.0.0.9 blocked

I can't get on the internet using Firefox 2.0.0.9.
    After I open it, all I get is a gray screen that says "Server not found". I had the same problem with 2.0.0.8., so I've done System Restore
    to get
    back to 2.0.0.7.
    I've deleted firefox from
    the ZA Program List,
    but I can't get it to add the 2.0.0.9 exe. And ZA doesn't ask me what to do when
    I
    open the new
    version for the first time without firefox on the
    Program List.
    One idea I had was to
    uninstall ZA and then reinstall it, but I don't know how easy or difficult this is. I prefer using Firefox over IE, so I'd appreciate any ideas
    for solving this.
    Thanks,Warren

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

malkajef Guest

Default Re: Firefox 2.0.0.9 blocked

I am no expert but I had the identical problem with 2.0.0.9. With 2 networked XP PCs at home, both with ZA free and Firefox, one had no problem with the FF update and the other one reacted exactly as you describe. After trying many things, visiting many forums (I was sure it was something wrong with the FF update), the cause was found to be corrupted ZA files. It was resolved by deleting certain ZA files and letting ZA reconstitute them.

See http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=31983

One caution: this resets ZA back to new and therefore you will need to restore all the permissions for the programs you wish to permit access - and, in my case - the settings for ZA to permit the wireless network to work again (the trusted ip numbers for your networked PCs, router, DNS and DHCP servers). None of this takes too long to do once you know what needs to be done - which as usual is the biggest struggle!

See http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=32087

Good luck!

Message Edited by malkajef on 11-15-2007 07:24 AM

You could try this first, before trying this.
    Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wck Guest

Hello. I tried your first option two times without success. After I delete firefox from the program control list and reboot, firefox
    remains on the list after the reboot. But it's
    an older version of the firefox.exe from May 2007.
    ZA doesn't ask me anything when I open the new version of Firefox.
    I'll try the safe mode procedure now.

OK. You could just delete the old Firefox installer, Using two seperate Firefox browser on the same OS will probably confuse things.
    Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-15-2007 10:33 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wck Guest

The procedure through safe mode worked beautifully and Firefox again connects to the internet. Thanks for the help. Even a couple of days using IE6 made me feel like I was going back in time and it wasn't pleasantly nostalgic.

While I was looking around in the internet logs, I noticed that nothing has been logged since 8/2/2007. Files exist from that date, but the newer files contains only a header with no activities recorded. Previous files are usually filled with entries like this:
    Generic Host Process for Win32 Services was blocked from accepting a connection from the Internet (192.168.1.1:Port 2837).,N/A,N/A
    Is this something I should be concerned about?

Warren

malkajef Guest

You are correct. I should have mentioned that I tried that too several times without success. Actually I tried several other things too but none worked which is why I was forced to resort to deleting the ZA files and restarting.

Sorry for the omission.

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services was blocked from accepting a connection from the Internet (192.168.1.1ort 2837).,N/A,N/A"

Any IP found inside of the 102.169.0.0 to 102.168.255.255 are always from a private network and are never from the internet. No danger from this, but it should not be seen. I asume this address is either your router or another PC setup on the home network or perhaps a networkeddevice such as a printer/scanner.
    The svchost.exe (or the generic host process) should have server rights for the trusted zone. By giving the server rights for the trusted zones for the svchost.exe, the alerts should be gone and perhaps the internet will even be a little more smoother.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Usually just removing the Mozilla Firefox entry from the ZA and then reboot will solve the problem.

When a program is updated (browsers or explorer or window components or email clients or new drivers, etc), the new file and the old file check sums as listed in the ZA no longer match. So the firewall will not accept the new file, since even though the file location is still the same, the file checksums no longer match. So it just ignores the new or updated files as it sees the new file as being not listed in it's program listing.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information