Thread: Zone Alarm Blocks Network Scanning and Printing

jdhelmick Guest

Default Zone Alarm Blocks Network Scanning and Printing

After hours of troubleshooting, I have narrowed this issue to Zone Alarm Internet Security.
    After a few network scan batches, I cannot communicate with my HP 7610 All-In-One scanner.
    Sometimes, it will not print either. Router changed, cables replaced and even reverted back to Norton Internet Security which poses no threat.
    Even though ZA "learns" this activity, it soon blocks it all together.
    I have 3 other PC's in the house on which I have tested this out, two of which run XP and my main unit which runs Vista.
    I've come up with the same results on each.
    I'm using the latest drivers and Solution Center and scanning to
    Adobe 8.
    Part of my business depends upon my ability to scan and print and I cannot have this happening.
    Currently have ZA uninstalled and using Norton for a 60-day trial but have paid for my ZA license.
    All appropriate ports are open.
    Error messages reported by OCR software range from "No device found" to "No scan options available" and when scanning directly at the unit, my PC is not listed, or there is a communications error.

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Business
    Software Version:
    7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by jdhelmick on 11-22-2007 06:09 AM

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Zone Alarm Blocks Network Scanning and Printing

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

I am very sorry that you are having issues with ZA and hopefully I will be able to help you find a solution.

If the printer has an IP address assigned, be sure that IP is included in the Trusted Zone. If it is connected to another machine, be sure that machine's IP is also added to the Trusted Zone.

Note: If the printer has its own IP address, or accesses the local loopback address of your computer (127.0.0.1), ZASS/ZAP may request Internet access for print jobs. This is because you are accessing an address that is outside the Trusted Zone (remember that every IP address is untrusted until you specifically add it to your Trusted Zone). As long as you verify that the IP address belongs to your local machine, or to your printer, it should be safe to allow. If the printer application asks for Access and/or Server rights, check with the printer manufacturer before allowing it. It could be trying to auto-update. Some printers may also install additional programs that you may not be aware of - you will need to find out what the purpose of these is, and decide whether or not to allow it the rights it has requested.

You should also ensure the spoolsv.exe has access (trust, internet) ticked on it.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. jdhelmick Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Blocks Network Scanning and Printing

If the printer has an IP address assigned, be sure that IP is included in the Trusted Zone. If it is connected to another machine, be sure that machine's IP is also added to the Trusted Zone.

Note: If the printer has its own IP address, or accesses the local loopback address of your computer (127.0.0.1), ZASS/ZAP may request Internet access for print jobs. This is because you are accessing an address that is outside the Trusted Zone (remember that every IP address is untrusted until you specifically add it to your Trusted Zone). As long as you verify that the IP address belongs to your local machine, or to your printer, it should be safe to allow. If the printer application asks for Access and/or Server rights, check with the printer manufacturer before allowing it. It could be trying to auto-update. Some printers may also install additional programs that you may not be aware of - you will need to find out what the purpose of these is, and decide whether or not to allow it the rights it has requested.

You should also ensure the spoolsv.exe has access (trust, internet) ticked on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been done and STILL experiencing intermittent, if not worse issues.
    I have since removed the suite and reinstalled several times with same results.
    Even went so far as to recover the entire OS with same results.
    Not an issue with Norton Internet Security.
    I am also beginning to find that ZA is almost as big a resource hog as NIS.

Thread Information