Thread: Trusted zone overeager?

happyuserxy Guest

Default Trusted zone overeager?

In a home LAN setting, even when ZoneAlarm is shut down, my linux box (residing on the same subnet) cannot ping or otherwise access my windows 2000 box. When I uninstall ZoneAlarm, it can, and everything just works! It took me a few days to realize that. I tried everything I can think of. I put my linux box's IP in the list of trusted zone, added the subnet in the trusted zone, even shut down the ZoneAlarm -- nothing worked.

I could see, by tailing C:\WINNT\Internet Logs\fwpktlog.txt, that packets (IP_ICMP, IP_UDP) originating from linux box are being dropped. What is more, that file is being written to by the System process, not ZoneAlarm -- that would explain why even shutdown of ZoneAlarm doesn't help.

So how should I configure my windows 2000 box/ZoneAlarm, so that this is not happening? For me the solution would be acceptable if I could make it work by shutting down ZoneAlarm for time when I need to access files from linux, but of course the best would be if I can make it work somehow.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

happyuserxy Guest

Default Re: Trusted zone overeager?

To see if it makes any difference I am trying ZoneAlarm Pro, the latest version, but the behavior is the same, i.e. the packets are being dropped.

Would it be possible for someone to confirm this problem? Just to help me eliminate the possibility that my windows 2000 box is not corrupted somehow.

Also, what do the ZoneAlarm experts say about this problem?

Thread Information