Thread: Refining my ZoneAlarm settings to work with Network Magic to share a printer

mcl Guest

Default Refining my ZoneAlarm settings to work with Network Magic to share a printer

I have ZoneAlarm (7.0.462) running on both my laptop (Win XP) and my desktop (Win 2000).
    Desktop has printer that I would like share with laptop.
    Installed Network Magic (4.6.8) on both nodes to facilitate sharing of files.
    I followed the procedures detailed by Network Magic on how to alter ZoneAlarms to enable printer and file sharing.
    This consisted of:
    Designating my network adaptors to "trusted" status.2.
    Set "trusted zone" security to medium.3.
    Placed "check marks" in all 4 categories within the Program Control function for the Network Magic Service.
    However, after doing this, I still can't print from the laptop to the printer attached to the desktop.
    I'm confident that I have Network Magic installed and working properly.
    I tested this by disabling ZoneAlarm on the Laptop and printing an email and a spreadsheet.
    Both printed fine.
    Turn ZoneAlarm back on and I get a print failure notice.
    What other elements of my ZoneAlarm configuration should I be changing?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Refining my ZoneAlarm settings to work with Network Magic to share a printer

Zone labs claims the ZA free does not support ICS, but that is not entirely true.

Open the Zones of each ZA and enter the IP of the other PC into it (desktop IP intp ZA of the laptop and laptop IP in the desktop ZA). List these as trusted. Make sure the router/dhcp IP is also listed as trusted. There are several printer drivers in windows (spoolsv, etc) and perhaps there are driver for the printer from the manufacture - make sure these have not just trusted access, but also server rights for the trusted zone.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information