Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm Pro 7 not working well AT ALL with FireFox

kickflip Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Pro 7 not working well AT ALL with FireFox

Whoa, ever since I installed ZoneAlarm Pro I've had nothing but problems with FireFox. I just spent 3hrs trouble shooting/uninstalling/installing FireFox when my whole problem was ZoneAlarm! Argggg.!!!! Here are the problems. Some images of some pages won't load at all. Some pages never fully load... there is no "Done" in the bottom left corner of my browser...as a matter of fact the page just tries to continually load. Some javascripts don't load at all. Pages now load 5 times slower with ZoneAlarm on. When I shutdown ZoneAlarm ALL the problems magically go away. None of these problems occur with IE7. Also, NONE of these problems occurred with the FREE version of ZoneAlarm. Currently I have my Firewall Internet Zone Security set to Medium and my Trusted Zone Security set to Medium. Does Anyone have any advice. Thanks!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:7.0

billc Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Pro 7 not working well AT ALL with FireFox

It's likely your Privacy settings causing the problems and not the security level of your firewall. I use Firefox as my default browser and leave my Privacy blocking off all together. With the popup blocker in Firefox and a lot of active script blocked as well, I feel safe enough not to use Privacy blocking. Cookies get used, but frankly I find that useful and I manually clean cookies fairly regularly. Try turn off all your Main Privacy blocking and see how that works for you.

kickflip Guest

Well, that sorta worked. Some pages still load slow and spoofee.com still has some broken images that won't show. However, browsing is still a bit slow. Any more suggestions

Message Edited by kickflip on 01-30-200711:33 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:7.0

kickflip Guest

Well, that sorta worked. Some pages still load slow and spoofee.com still has some broken images that won't show. However, browsing is still a bit slow. Any more suggestions?

billc Guest

Nothing more in the way of adjustments with Zone Alarm Pro if you now have your Privacy turned off. You could check to make sure your DNS server IP is in the Trusted zone and not the Internet zone and that Generic Host Process For Win32 Services has 'server' rights to the Trusted zone. A good clean-up of your browser cache never hurts and Firefox has extensions that might help you tweak the browser like "Faster Fox" I think it's called.

kickflip Guest

Bill, I ended up turning off ALL privacy controls. This enabled Firefox to view properly, Engadget.com and spoofee.com which seemed to be my 2 test sites. For some reason I think ZoneAlarm's AD Blocking blocks some harmless images and put's the browser into an infinite loop thus slowing it down to a crawl... This might be a bug in ZA? Unfortunate I had to spend a good portion of mine and your time trying to fix this. However, I am very grateful for your help. Thanks.

billc Guest

For what it's worth, I leave all my Privacy off all the time. I feel fairly safe with Firefox as my default browser because of the way it handles active script and both ads & cookies are benign as far as I'm concerned.

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>kickflip wrote:
    Bill, I ended up turning off ALL privacy controls. This enabled Firefox to view properly, Engadget.com and spoofee.com which seemed to be my 2 test sites. For some reason I think ZoneAlarm's AD Blocking blocks some harmless images and put's the browser into an infinite loop thus slowing it down to a crawl... This might be a bug in ZA? Unfortunate I had to spend a good portion of mine and your time trying to fix this. However, I am very grateful for your help. Thanks.
    <hr></blockquote>

Hi, Kickflip:
    Great news that Guru Bill got you functional again. It's not a bug in ZA, however. It's designed to work that way, depending on the level of privacy that each person wants to have. Yours was set too high for those websites. ZA Free for instance, doesn't even have privacy controls.

On problem sites where you have to turn off all privacy settings at the Privacy|Main page where the sliders are, the underlying website is possibly receiving images/objects from multiple servers, some of which may even be redirects, so it's extremely difficult to know what all specific URL's and what privacy settings can be customized in the Site List tab to correct it. Most websites can be configured individually in the Site List without having to turn off those global controls that affect all websites. Often just by placing checkmarks in the mobile code and/or cookie columns, or even further refining by right-clicking the site name, choosing &quot;options&quot;, and a 3-tab box will pop up for individual customization that ZA will remember for that one website.

However, when I encounter problem website that no amount of individual customization of the &quot;options&quot; at the site list can correct, I just turn off those main privacy controls, do my business on that problem site, then turn them back on. I have 2-3 websites that I visit where I have to do that; most of my others do OK with Firefox, or sometimes require a simple checkmark in the &quot;mobile code&quot; column of its entry in the Site List. Good luck.
    <hr>

xxmrsoulxx Guest

I just installed Zone Alarm internet Security Suite. I also use Firefox. So far, I have only had one issue -- my banking website. I tried to add to the trusted site list and lessened blocking. The site is &quot;https&quot;. When trying to add to trusted site ZA displayed &quot;cannot find https&quot;. I did eventually turn off cookie control completely and was able to log on. Shouldn't you be able to add a secure protocol website to trusted site and/or privacy site lists?

billc Guest

Yes you should add the Banking site to your ZASS >Privacy> Site List. Go to the Site List, click on the 'add' button, enter the URL of your bank, then click 'ok'. Now locate the site you just entered on the Site List, right click on it and select 'options'. Next go through all three tabs to uncheck everything and click 'apply' as you go through each tab. Now clean your browser cache and try the site again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information