Thread: Problems Connecting to Internet with Zone Alarm Pro

adgeruss Guest

Default Problems Connecting to Internet with Zone Alarm Pro

Hello All,
    I'm posting this message on behalf of my brother in law, who currently cannot connect to the internet.
    He has downloaded and installed the latest available version of Zone Alarm Pro, and it now appears that the internet connection has been blocked by the Software.
    I guess this is a simple case of assigning some sort of authorisation for Zone Alarm to allow the connection to his BT Highway Router through the firewall.
    I've had a look at the PC myself, and we've tried for several hours with different permission levels and changing every setting,
    and I think we've managed to make it worse now if anything!!
    Could you please let us know, how to completed return the software to "out of the box" status, and then grant our router permission to connect to the net via Zone Alarm Security Suite?
    Any help you could offer is much appreciated.
    Many thanks

Adrian

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:

Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by adgeruss on 02-11-2008 01:48 PM

Default Re: Problems Connecting to Internet with Zone Alarm Pro

First:[*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

After the reboot back into the normal mode, then set the new network found as Trusted.

After the usual prompts and alerts (allow all), then do this:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Please note, if the ipconfig /all shows the assigned IP as 169.x.x.x., then the PC cannot use this IP to communicate with the router. Instead reboot again and let windows find the "assigned" address from the router and then add the details in the ZA.

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

lgb Guest

This worked for me - solved my problem. ZA is great for protection, but I could definately live without these problems popping up again and and again ... and again! Will it ever stop?

<blockquote><hr>LGB wrote:
    This worked for me - solved my problem. ZA is great for protection, but I could definately live without these problems popping up again and and again ... and again! Will it ever stop?
    <hr></blockquote>

Sorry I was helping the other use. Which problems?
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

adgeruss Guest

Hi Oldsod,
    Thanks very much for your help with this one, I passed the info on to my Brother in Law, and he is now back online and working.
    Thanks

Adrian

Your are welcome Adrian. Best regards to your brother in law.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information