Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I cannot access any link that is a PDF. I do not want to...

bartoletti Guest

Default I cannot access any link that is a PDF. I do not want to...

I cannot access any link that is a PDF.
    I do not want to individually change the Zone Alarm privacy for each PDF on the internet.
    Clicking on a link that is suffuxed with .pdf just closes the internet window.
    Does anybody have the expertise to fix this kind of problem.
    I do not want to reload the software as The are too many security settings to reload.
    I will just have to get a more stabile security software.Web address link example = **http://windermerepalmvalley.vflyer.c...nt.pdf**Thanks for the helpPaul

Mobile control code is off

All .pdf programs and components are allowed or trusted.

cashe cleaned

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Pro Business Edition, SP2
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000
    Anti-virus Vet engine version:30.4.1.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:30.4.3863.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.176.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200710.2575
    AntiSpam version:4.8.2.7565

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: I cannot access any link that is a PDF. I do not want to...

Dear bartoletti:

I've seen this behavior in the Opera web browser. I believe it is caused by Opera, not by ZA. I noticed it first with v.9.23 though the problem may have existed in a previous version as well. I pasted the link you supplied into the Firefox web browser and that one worked fine. I'd guess that IE would also display it fine.

If you don't want to use an alternative browser, a workaround with Opera is to right click the .pdf link, then click Save Target As..., and save it to your hard drive and open it up using Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

quantor Guest

Since upgrading ZoneLab Firewall to ZoneLab Security Suite I've the same problems with .pdf-files when I want to load them down from the Internet. I always get the message: "This object has been blocked".

When I try to copy the file down from the Internet to my harddisk as given in your answer for Opera, the pdf-File is corrupted and has a length of only 1 (one) kB and is useless.

This behaviour occurs with Mozilla, Internet Explorer 7, Netscape 7.1. Obviously the problem arises because of ZoneAlarm Security Suite and not because of the browsers.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional, SP2

Product Name: ZoneAlarm Security Suite
    Version Infos: ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7.0.462.000
    TrueVector security engine version: 7.0.462.000
    Driver version: 7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 3 DAT file version 942427043
    Anti-spyware engine version: 5.0.189.0 DAT file version 01.200801.3135
    AntiSpam version: 5.0.6.8903
    All Adobe Software is set to allowed or to ask.

Do you have any advice ?

thanks

Hi!is your mobile control active under the ZA privacy control?Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

watcher Guest

Dear Quantor:

Your problem is different than bartoletti's and, yes, your problem is related to ZAISS. Fax has given you the solution to it.

WATCHER

georgeg Guest

I have a similar problem with IE:

When I try to download a PDF I get (man I wish that I could place a screen capture in here):
    Adobe PDF Document

X_________________________________________________ _________________
    !
    There is a problem with Adobe ACrobat/Reader. Please exit Adobe Acrobat/Reader and try again.

OK
    when you select OK it looks like the file is downloading somewhere without the customary request for a destination. The destination folder appears to be:
    "Temporary Folder" which I cannot find.
    Then the following appears:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\1R3SLE...

X_________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    X

windows cannot access the specified device, path, od file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

OK

when you press OK the process is over with no outcome.

Program settings:
    Adobe Reader 8.0

Auto

?

?

?

?

?

?Adobe Reader 8.1

Auto

?

?

?

?

?

?Internet Explorer

Custom

||

check
    check
    ?

?

?

I never had any of these problems with older versions of ZA coupled with older versions of AA coupled with older versions of IE.
    Thanks for your help,
    George

zassuser Guest

Watcher,
    For what it's worth, I'm not so sure Mobile Code Control is the fix.
    I have similar problems with Adobe Acrobat Reader, and my Mobile Code Control is
    off.
    Check George G's
    similar thread below
    for more detail, if you wish (or not...).

I'm not nearly the ZA expert your or Fax are (not even close...), but I think this is either a bug in ZASS, or something different between ZASS & Acrobat Reader that requires some sort of configuration or work-around
    that was not required prior.
    Adobe pdf's - particularly downloads -
    do not work the same with ZASS as they used to.
    Foxit works fine for standard pdf's
    (but of course, will not work at all with Adobe DRM-encumbered pdf's - which is where I notice
    a problem similar to Quantor's and other's).
    I don't use Opera, so I can not comment there.
    I use IE & FireFox (all current).
    To me, the common denominator seems to be ZASS + Adobe.

Thanks for trying to help...
    ZASSuser

Hi!
    which similar problem? Can you detail the error?

Usually it is enough to ensure:

1. Privacy Control is turned OFF (mobile code, ad blocking and cookies)
    2. All elements of IE and Adobe in ZA program control should be given "Super Trusted" permissions (Three green bars)
    3. Start IE7 only with the adobe add-in and disable all the rest. I have seen many times that other add-ins for IE conflicts with ZA and Adobe.

Note that once you have modified Privacy control and ZA programs permission, shutdown ZA completely, wait 30 seconds, open ZA again and double check permission have been saved. Only then test it...

Please also post a website with PDF so we can test it to see if there is really a problem.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

watcher Guest

Dear ZASSuser:

Your opinion is noted but opinions aren't facts. I've had the problem that Quantor had a long time ago. I contacted CheckPoint support and they sent me a response about the Mobile Code Control, specifically, unchecking the last option, Block mime-type integrated objects. It worked. Both fax and I have answered this same question numerous times, fax more than I. I've never rec'd back a response that it didn't work.

I use ZAPRO, not ZAISS. I would suggest that you post your problem in a new thread, not hijack this thread started by bartoletti. I would have stated the same thing to Quantor but fax had already responded to him. Neither Quantor or your problems are related to bartoletti's. You give an assessment about your problem being a ZAISS bug, yet no one reading your post knows what problem(s) you have encountered as your statements are all too general. Then you make a conclusion that it is ZAISS + Adobe. Well, I have ZAPRO + Adobe and I can download .pdf files OK. However, like bartoletti, I have experienced a crash of my Opera browser when trying to open a .pdf link. According to ZAPRO's help file, Opera is not listed as a supported browser but, since I've downloaded .pdf files before with ZAPRO + Adobe, I now think it is Opera because Opera crashes when attempting to open the .pdf link.

As for GeorgeG's post, I will look at it and respond to it.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

watcher Guest

Dear GeorgeG:

Your problem is NOT related to bartoletti's. You should post a new thread re this but first check fax's post from 1/14/2008 to see if that resolves your problem.

You should list your operating system, ZA edition/version, AAR version, and IE version. Details such as these are needed. Also, have you tried alternative browsers to see if the problem exists with them as well?

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

P.S. You double posted this. Please don't do this as you could get into trouble with the Forum Moderator not to mention wasting forum member's time answering a question that may have already been answered.

Message Edited by WATCHER on 01-14-2008 07:53 PM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information