Thread: Cannot Upgrade With Microsoft

bibletoter Guest

Default Cannot Upgrade With Microsoft

For some time now,whenever Microsoft Updates attempts to install an update( while the computer is in a working mode),it failed to install some updates.However,within the last few days,it has begun failing to install any updates.
    I attempted,just a short while ago,to insert Microsoft Update as a trusted host in the Zone Alarm firewall,but when I clicked"Lookup",it said it couldn't find Microsoft Update,so I then put in www.microsoft.com with the same results,it couldn't find it.Then I even copied the microsoft update link that was in my browser,and got the same answer:We can't find http://WWW.(etc.)
    Surely Zone Alarm can find Microsoft.Please help,I'm a novice here.I must update my computer,this has been going on for at least two or three months.Thank you.The following is from the Microsoft website on my not being able to install updates.Everything listed is what has not been updated in quite some time now:
    <div class="sys-font-heading3 sys-rhp-color-title">

Installation Summary

<a target="_blank">Successful:</a> 0

Failed: 7

<a target="_blank">Remaining:</a> 0<hr>Successful Updates<hr>
    Failed Updates
    For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each problem description.

Problem: Please check your update history for a description.
    Microsoft Office 2003Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3)
    Update for Outlook 2003 (KB943649)
    Security Update for Office 2003 (KB945185)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 (KB946254)
    Update for Outlook Junk Email Filter 2003 (KB944941)
    Security Update for Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (KB943973)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB943983)
    Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed.

<hr>

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Cannot Upgrade With Microsoft

Tips:1
    - don't use download managers nor web accelerators while downloading Microsoft updates.{ web accelerators(often used with dial-up)
    - this I know first hand}
    And use Internet Explorer 6/ 7 instead of Firefox and others.<hr>2-

Make sure the
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is running
    [*]<div class="indent">
    1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.[*]<div class="indent">
    2. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.[*]<div class="indent">
    3. On the General tab, click Automatic in the Startup type box, and then click Apply.[*]<div class="indent">
    4. In the &quot;Service status&quot; section of the properties dialog box, verify that the BITS service is started. If it is not started, click Start.[*]<div class="indent">
    5. Click Apply, and then click OK...<hr>[/list]3
    - In ZA Program Control - you should have the following Microsoft programs -as they will be needed - give three green bars -super trust level - Acess - two green checks, the rest ' ? ' These are the programs I find active during my Microsoft updates. Often after such updates there will ZA Alerts; these you should &quot;allow&quot; for upgrades and updates of Microsoft files/programs/services.<hr>A - Windows Update Automatic Updates - wuauclt.exe - 7.0.6000.381B - Windows Genuine Advantage Notification - WgaTray.exe - 1.7.0017.0C - Verify Class ID - verclsid.exe - 5.1.2600.2869D - Windows installer - msiexec.exe - 3.1.4000.1823E - WMI - wmiprvse.exe - 5.1.2600.2180F - Generic Host Process for Win32 Services - svchost.exe - 5.1.2600.2180G - Internet Explorer (7)- iexplore.exe - 7.00.6000.16608<hr>In ZA program control - Internet Explorer and
    Generic Host Process for Win32 Services - should have three green bars, Access - two green checks, Server -two ' ? ? ' , Mail - one green check (if you use msn/ hotmail/ messenger services).<hr>In IE browser - Pop-up Blocker Settings &gt; allowed site - add &quot; download.microsoft.com &quot;, 'www.microsoft.com', &quot; www.update.microsoft.com&quot; = also add into 'trusted sites.'<hr>In IE browser - Internet Options &gt; Trusted sites &gt; &quot; http://*.update.microsoft.com &quot; , ' http://download.windowsupdate.com '<hr>Question - are you using dial-up or high speed(cable,DSL, etc.) ??<hr>Usually with a failed Microsoft update - they will give you an error code/error message
    - please list if any.<hr>On one of your update attempts - try with ZA Privacy Protection - &quot;all off&quot; just prior/during the updating process - see if that is the cause.<hr>You can read thru some of these &gt; click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=46289<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 3-3-08 - Hooked On A Feeling - B.J. Thomas
    PS - on the bottom of your post, software version refers to 'ZoneAlarm verison - ex. 7.0462, 7.1248, etc. '

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 08-18-2008 08:17 PM

Check to see that the BITS Service is running. Go to the Control Panel (in Classic View mode) and click on "Administrative Tools". Then click "Services". Find the service called "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and open it. If it is not running, start it then try updating again.

elesdeeh Guest

Click PRIVACY tab (on left)Click SITE LIST (top)Click update.microsoft.comChange ALL (or according to your taste) to Green check marksClose ZA main windowRESTART web browserTry Windows Update or Microsoft Update
    Good Luck!

kdcfamily Guest

Here is how I fixed the update issue with Microsoft Update.After clicking the update button from the Start menu the page that opens up is the beginning update page.I copy the Address, which for me is
    http://www.update.microsoft.com/micr....aspx?ln=en-us

I then went into ZoneAlarm &gt; Privacy &gt; Site List and added the above mentioned website and made sure thatall checks were beside this input.
    I do not have pop up blocker or ad blocker enabled though.
    I have had issues with thoseenabled and I do not get many pop ups or visit sites that have alot of ads so I don't seea use in me using them.
    This is what fixed the issue for me.

elesdeeh Guest

Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.483.000
    Click PRIVACY tab (on left)Click SITE LIST (top)Click update.microsoft.com------------UPDATED: 7/11/08
    Click ADD (bottom right)Type www.update.microsoft.comClick OK-----------Change ALL (or according to your taste) to Green check marksClose ZA main windowRESTART web browserTry Windows Update or Microsoft Update
    Good Luck!

Thread Information