Thread: Cannot access Windows Updates

txkcraig Guest

Default Cannot access Windows Updates

I am running ZASS 7.0.462 and Windows Media Center Edition 2005 (Win XP Home).
    When I open the win update page it tells me there is a problem and offers me possible sources of help which have not helped.
    The actual error message is 0x80072EE7.
    I looked through the forum and did not find anything that helped.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Cannot access Windows Updates

Here look thru this from Microsoft - click here > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
    .{ I had one of these errors once; it was the web accelerator - needed to shut that off, then everything worked for me }<hr>Look thru the settings here and make sure you are in synch &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=145 - when your actually doing an Microsoft update - you may 'temporarily' change Server - two &quot; ? ? &quot;<hr>Tips:1
    - don't use download managers nor web accelerators while downloading Microsoft updates.{do not use web accelerators(often used with dial-up)
    - this I know first hand}
    And use Internet Explorer 6/ 7 instead of Firefox and others.
    2- you can try the following...

1. Open up ZA then

2. Click on 'Firewall'

3. Click
    on 'Zones'

4. Click on 'Add'

5. Click on 'Host/Site'

6. Type 'update.microsoft.com'

7. Enter Whatever you want in 'Desctiption'

8. Click on 'Lookup'

9 Click on 'OK'

10. Repeat Steps 4 -
    adding 'windows.update.com' and then

'windowsupdate.microsoft.com'

11. Click on 'Apply'

(thanks pooky)
    3 - In ZA Program Control - you should have the following Microsoft programs -as they will be needed - give three green bars -super trust level - Acess - two green checks, the rest ' ? ' These are the programs I find active during my Microsoft updates. Often after such updates there will ZA Alerts; these you should &quot;allow&quot; for upgrades and updates of Microsoft files/programs/services.<hr>A - Windows Update Automatic Updates - wuauclt.exe - 7.0.6000.381B - Windows Genuine Advantage Notification - WgaTray.exe - 1.7.0017.0C - Verify Class ID - verclsid.exe - 5.1.2600.2869D - Windows installer - msiexec.exe - 3.1.4000.1823E - WMI - wmiprvse.exe - 5.1.2600.2180F - Generic Host Process for Win32 Services - svchost.exe - 5.1.2600.2180G - Internet Explorer (7)- iexplore.exe - 7.00.6000.16608<hr>In ZA program control - Internet Explorer and
    Generic Host Process for Win32 Services - should have three green bars, Access - two green checks, Server -two ' ? ? ' , Mail - one green check (if you use msn/ hotmail/ messenger services).<hr>In IE browser - Pop-up Blocker Settings &gt; allowed site - add &quot; download.microsoft.com &quot;, 'www.microsoft.com', &quot; www.update.microsoft.com&quot; / also add these sites to 'Trusted Sites' of IE 6/ 7. Make sure you don't have any other 'pop-up blocker' software running - ex. some ISP's, toolbars , other security software.<hr>In IE browser - Internet Options &gt; Trusted sites &gt; &quot; http://*.update.microsoft.com &quot; , ' http://download.windowsupdate.com '<hr>Try with ZA Privacy Protection - &quot;all off&quot; just prior/during the updating process - see if that is the cause.<hr>http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 3-20-08 - For The Love Of Money - The O'Jays

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 01-03-2009 10:33 PM

txkcraig Guest

Thanks for the detailed response.

In answer to your question, I am connecting via broadband and to my knowledge I don't have any web accelerators.

I had found the KB article that you referenced and I thought I had previously tried all of it with no joy, but I tried again with no joy.

I already have ZASS 7.0.462.

I think I tried everything in your message. I also re-installed IE 7. All with no joy.

naivemelody Guest

Try:- resetting the modem- try with ZA Privacy Protection - &quot;all off&quot; just prior/during the updating process - see if that is the cause. Main tabs.- at a small risk - try with ZA &quot;temporarily&quot; shut-down. If Microsoft updates, then there is something in ZA or some other 'possible' conflict with software. If it still doesn't update - then there is something else preventing proper updating. You have high speed, it should take a few seconds.- you can try running that Microsoft video tutorial/ help - mentioned in the first link.- make sure Windows firewall is off and Windows Defender is completely shutdown.- may want to enter Microsoft support forum and if your lucky - an MVP or some other post will have the right clue/ resolution- from Guru FrereOP &gt; &quot;Check to see that the 'BITS Service' is running. Go to the Control Panel (in Classic View mode) and click on &quot;Administrative Tools&quot;. Then click &quot;Services&quot;. Find the service called &quot;Background Intelligent Transfer Service&quot; and open it. If it is not running, start it then try updating again.&quot; - svchost.exe.qmgr.dll<hr>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883614/en-us<hr>Questions:- were you able to Microsoft update before&gt; monthes ago? and only failing now or was it always a problem with ZA? or with new ZA upgrade?- any
    new software recently added?

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 04-08-2008 10:22 PM

txkcraig Guest

Haven't had a chance to try anything in your last post yet. in answer to your questions, I am not sure I have been able to run windows update with the new version of ZA but I was able to run it since I have been running ZA. I have tried to update with ZA not running with no joy. The only software I have add is H&amp;R Block Tax Cuts. I also have tried repeatedly to download the Guided Help the the KB article references with no joy there either.
    We are just on our way out to run some errands. When we return I will try the remainder of your suggestions. Thanks again.

Have you tried turning on the automatic updates to see if it will download the updates automatically? When I had the updates on manual, I had all kinds of problems with ZA and without ZA running. I finally turned on automatic updates and all my problems ended.

Just my 2 cents.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Sometimes setting the Program Control slider to Low allows certain activities.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information