Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZASS 7.0.462 no access in safe mode / files corrupt ??

granny_mouse Guest

Default ZASS 7.0.462 no access in safe mode / files corrupt ??

Hello.
    Am working on resolving both virus and spyware issues, encountered after ZASS install 1/24/08 ... progress has led me to
    attempt re-setting the database after first, scanning in "safe mode" ... problem now, is i cannot open any aspect of ZASS in safe mode ... am i doing something wrong (load from 'start' menu) or is it more likely a clean, re-install is necessary at this point ???
    FYI -- following the 'cleaning' instructions for the spyware/virus issue is why ZA is to be run in safe mode ... is it necessary to use "safe mode with networking" or just plain ole' safe mode ???
    Tried both, cannot load in either.
    Thank you for any advice ... we'd really like to use our computers, again

granny mouse

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: ZASS 7.0.462 no access in safe mode / files corrupt ??

7.0.462 does not work in safe mode. Zone Labs has just released 7.0.470 which is claimed to work in safe mode with networking.

granny_mouse Guest

thanks for the quick response Jd .... however, now i wonder ... hmmmm, should i reset the database or uninstall ... then upgrade to the newer version ???

Any opinion
    appreciated
    ... we just purchased 7.0462 in January ... have had several problems since install (but still believing it's more operator error than anything) ... however, since the new version is available and since we've had troubles with the current one, do i dare install the new one OVER existing files or try a clean install with the newest version ???
    thanks again,mouse

jdoliver Guest

I have had no problems with 462. I'm waiting for auto-update to tell me that 470 is available and then I'll upgrade over my existing files.
    However, given that you have had problems, you might want to look at http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=74023
    I would use the /clean switch but not the /rmlicense because I'm too lazy to type the license number in again.

granny_mouse Guest

ok ... but, what does the /rmlicense command do ???
    Clueless ... but have the key saved to a txt file so i can copy paste ... do i still need to use this command or just the
    /clean ?
    Just printing the instructions from that post and
    am wondering ... since it's from 12/07, is this the current uninstall procedure or has it changed ???
    Just asking.
    Thanks for all your input ... this transitition hasn't been an easy one but i am convinced (once i understand it) ZASS will keep me safer ... used to use the free firewall and had 0 problems ... now, after purchasing ZASS, i've been infected with a virus on one computer and two trojans on another ... needless to say, i'm thinking a re-install is the only answer.
    Just wanting to get it right, this time.thanks again,mouse

jdoliver Guest

There is a file someplace on your hard disk which contains the license information for Zone Alarm. I don't know its name.
    The /clean switch removes all ZA files except the license file. If you install a new version of ZASS, it will recognize the license file and "know" that you are already licensed.
    The /rmlicense switch removes the license file. There should be no trace of ZA on your machine if you use /clean /rmlicense. If you now install 470, it will think its the first installation of ZA and ask for a license key. You can copy and paste your existing key.
    BTW, do you have any other antivirus or antispyware programs running. If so, stop them before installing ZA. Such programs have been known to cause problems.

granny_mouse Guest

I should have got that one ... remove ... yeah, it's been a few years
    Ok, so if i understand, then
    /clean is all i should use, since the license key doesn't / won't change, right ??
    Regarding 470, i tried to manually update and was told software current ... auto is on ... but, just checking ... so, if 470 is not yet available (this week) and i re-install 462, tomorrow (with current license key, good til next year) ... will i still get the update when released or should i wait til it's available ??
    AM new to this whole process ... please forgive my ignorance .
    thanks,mouse
    PS:
    i did copy the license key when instructed during initial install ... btw, where do i go to re-install ... ZA home, then access my account ??

I was bad and didn't copy the original download (didn't have any cd's at the time) and have since deleted it, oooops.

jdoliver Guest

The license key is not valid and should work with any version of the security suite.
    The new version is available at http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    That also has a link to all the other versions in case you want to download 462.
    Zone Labs usually doesn't turn on the update servers for several weeks after the official release. Don't ask me why!
    I can't really help you debug the security suite problems. I'm using Zone Alarm anti-virus and have never had problems with it.

granny_mouse Guest

JD, thanks for your response, but this statement concerns me :
    The license key is not valid and should work with any version of the security suite
    These words indicate a bit of a conflict ... my license key SHOULD be valid for another 300+ days ... purchased a one year extension on download availability (just in case) ... am just wondering which i should download ... 462 or 470 ... since the newer version is not yet available as an
    update ... should i just stick with what aleady exists, only a clean re-install ??
    But, if i understand correctly, i can use or not ... the
    /rmlicense command ... so long as i can paste my "valid" key into the new install, right ??

Or, should i pose this question to the Tech team before uninstalling ??mouse

jdoliver Guest

OOPS! Bad proof reading by me. The license key is valid. My apologies for the confusion.
    I'd go for 470 since you want to run in safe mode.
    /rmlicense is optional. You can use it so long as you have your present key written down. But I don't think its necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information