Thread: ZA Suite blocking Lexmark printing

subi Guest

Default ZA Suite blocking Lexmark printing

Running Vista SP1 (regardless of version of Vista) with the latest Lexmark drivers for a 6500 Series wireless MFP.
    Initially had an issue when first setting up the printer, whereby ZA Suite was blocking the various components of the Lexmark drivers, whereby I couldnt send a print job from the spooler to the printer (as the Lexmark driver uses its own nice (stupid) little utility to send the job from the spooler to the printer itself. I ended up having to individually allow every single DLL for Lexmark that I could identify... considering that ZA had them set to a "?" but wasnt providing any prompts to allow / block them...
    Anyhow, it worked for about 2 weeks, and now ZA is blocking it again (I can guarantee that no other changes have to made to anything on the computer, printer or network excluding ZA).
    As I know that ZA has recently done some auto-updates to the machine/s, is anyone able to provide technical advice on what I can do to ZA to stop it from blocking the lexmark drivers (well, any suggestions short of throwing out the printer and / or ZA) would be apppreciated.

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZA Suite blocking Lexmark printing

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>subi wrote:
    Running Vista SP1 (regardless of version of Vista) with the latest Lexmark drivers for a 6500 Series wireless MFP.Initially had an issue when first setting up the printer, whereby ZA Suite was blocking the various components of the Lexmark drivers, whereby I couldnt send a print job from the spooler to the printer (as the Lexmark driver uses its own nice (stupid) little utility to send the job from the spooler to the printer itself. I ended up having to individually allow every single DLL for Lexmark that I could identify... considering that ZA had them set to a "?" but wasnt providing any prompts to allow / block them...Anyhow, it worked for about 2 weeks, and now ZA is blocking it again (I can guarantee that no other changes have to made to anything on the computer, printer or network excluding ZA).As I know that ZA has recently done some auto-updates to the machine/s, is anyone able to provide technical advice on what I can do to ZA to stop it from blocking the lexmark drivers (well, any suggestions short of throwing out the printer and / or ZA) would be apppreciated.

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have you Given Trusted and Internet Access to Spooler and all the Lexmark drivers in ZA Program Control/Program tab ?Here is a ZA Forum Link that might help..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=31620If that does not help, Please contact ZA technical support: www.zonelabs.com/tsformand post back if you managed to fix the issue....
    ---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.1.254.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.254.000
    Driver version:7.1.254.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:948000224
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200803.3595
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.1.248.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.248.000
    Driver version:7.1.248.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200803.3595
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

subi Guest

George,
    For all known parts of the Lexmark software, yes I have already given both Programs and components FULL access in ZA Program Control. I have also done the same for the spooler.
    I've lodged a seperate request to Lexmark's help desk, asking them to provide me with the full list of all file names installed by their &quot;driver&quot; installation, so I can verify all components have been given this access, as I cannot locate (that is, the file definitely doesnt exist) the Lexmark software install log file. I'm waiting to hear back from them with this list.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>subi wrote:
    George,For all known parts of the Lexmark software, yes I have already given both Programs and components FULL access in ZA Program Control. I have also done the same for the spooler.I've lodged a seperate request to Lexmark's help desk, asking them to provide me with the full list of all file names installed by their "driver" installation, so I can verify all components have been given this access, as I cannot locate (that is, the file definitely doesnt exist) the Lexmark software install log file. I'm waiting to hear back from them with this list.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback..Please contact ZA Tech Support Directly for Free at www.zonealarm.com/tsform with IE7and give them the details of your problem with your Wireless Lexmark..When you click Submit button , you will receive an Auto-generated Confirmation Email with your case number..Please keep us posted on your progress report, as your results may help other users with Lexmark printers..Thank you..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

The Lexmark executibles should found in it's Program directory (Program File). There may be a sub folder in the Common Files folder and in the Documents and Settings. If a manual look is wanted.

Or just do a search with Windows for lexmark files (set the search parameters to just .exe).

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=49300

Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

subi Guest

Update
    I've just received my first contact back from ZA Support.
    They have requested that I boot the machine into Safe Mode, delete
    the C:\Program Files\Zone Labs
    program folder (without uninstalling it first via Add/Remove Programs), delete specific ZA files from C:\Windows\System32\Zone Labs &amp; C:\Windows\System32, clear the Temp, Prefetch
    &amp; Internet Logs folders, delete 3 specific Keys within the registry (the \\HKLM\Software\Zone Labs key, plus 2 Services keys), reboot the machine and reinstall the latest version.
    This im sure (even though just the normal uninstall would have been sufficient) will resolve the issue (possibly) for the time being, my concern is that I dont want to have to do this every time ZASS updates... especially if by downloading the &quot;latest&quot; version available online is then patched immediately after install with a little update that will break it again...
    Ah, anyhow, I'll give this a go over the weekend and will update with my findings.... but keep in mind that I may not know if its been a permanent fix until the next ZASS update occurs.
    Also, thankyou to Oldsod for your suggestions. I've already gone through the application directory and given all application (.exe) &amp; any other Lexmark files registered within ZASS with the access granted, but I'm still curious for any files in the Windows\System32 or other folders that I may have missed, and are not clearly identified by name or property details as being part of the drivers.
    Regardless, I havent yet had any reply from Lexmark themselves for such a file list, which is curious to say the least, considering im sure they would want me to make sure that their product works correctly on my system, or otherwise I'll just go buy a new printer from one of their competitors, one that doesnt have such a headache of a printing system associated to it.

Before doing their crude description a manual ripping out the ZA, just try a ZA database rest and see if that works:
    [*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

This may well work and fix the problem.

BUT do not do their crude ripping out the ZA. Just uninstall it first and then do the deletions they recommended. Or use this:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

BUT MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, there is no newer ZA Vista release to upgarde to!!! You are using the latest release and it has not gone any further. So just try the ZA database reset first and see if that is the way to get joy.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information