Thread: ZA Security Suite mysteriously blocking access to Yahoo Chess servers

clrj Guest

Default ZA Security Suite mysteriously blocking access to Yahoo Chess servers

I'm having trouble figuring out what settings to tweak on my ZoneAlarm Security Suite.
    What's happening:
    My kid and my dad like to play Yahoo's "new"
    chess [ http://games.yahoo.com/ch
    ], long-distance. However, with ZA Security Suite, the list of servers from which to choose is being blocked. It's exactly the same story on three different machines. The java chess thing runs fine, and loads the avatar pic
    just fine,
    based on the user id, but then, in the box that's supposed to show the servers,
    it provides the following
    list of three bogus servers, based on song names: "Superunknown," "Where the Streets Have No Name," and "Who Are You?" None of these actually have players -- they're just faux server names, as far as we can tell.
    I can find a couple of mentions of these weird
    room names by Googling, but have been able to find no helpful answers.
    I can get the normal list of (also-silly) real
    server names ("Giraffe Field," Kangaroo Court," "Lobster Lagoon," etc... ;-) ) by turning ZoneAlarm entirely off, narrowing it down to actually being a ZoneAlarm issue, not the router or something, as I understand it.
    But when I turn
    ZA back on, I'm simply having no luck tracking down what's being blocked.
    What I've tried:
    1) Turning ZA off (which "fixes" it -- see prior paragraph)
    2) I've done the whole Privacy troubleshooting thing (seeing what sites pop up in the site list
    when
    Yahoo Chess
    runs, and allowing those sites to do stuff).
    3) I saw one thing,
    in searching for answers via Google,
    about Yahoo needing port 11999 open re TCP incoming and outgoing, but checking those didn't help either (though I wasn't really sure what I was doing with that -- I just checked the two boxes at the bottom,
    under Firewall/Internet Zone Security "Custom"/"High Security Settings..." and plugged in the above number for each).
    4) I also tried watching for the green dots in Programs to see what was running, and tried setting IE briefly to a green check for "server" but that didn't help, either. None of the other running programs seemed relevant.
    5) Also, FWIW, if
    you choose to play the "Standard Chess" (in the yellow bar under the "Play Now" button), you can scroll down and see html links to all the servers. If I click on one of those, it takes me to the server, normally, where I can see other people logged in (but
    this is
    not the version of chess
    we want to play). These servers do have the same silly names as the ones in the "All-New Chess" (which
    isn't really new any more),
    when it's working, but I don't know
    whether they're really the same servers.
    I'm pretty sure (but not positive -- it was last week ;-) )
    that the one machine,
    out of the three,
    that used to work for chess, had plain, free
    ZA on it at the time, in case that
    might help narrow anything down
    -- I'd recently put the trial Security Suite on it, since who knows what mischief
    the kids might "drag in" via online games, and chess stopped working on that machine, too, just like on the other two.
    So... in summary, since turning ZA off completely "fixes" the problem, something in ZA
    is blocking some kind of access -- I just can't figure out what ZA is doing, so I can adjust the proper settings!

Any
    help/pointers would be much appreciated! :-)

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by clrj on 04-06-2008 10:58 PM

Default Re: ZA Security Suite mysteriously blocking access to Yahoo Chess servers

Turn all the alert and logging options to high or on. Then try logging onto the server, then go into the logviewer and see what got blocked. Let us know if nothing got blocked.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

clrj Guest

Default Re: ZA Security Suite mysteriously blocking access to Yahoo Chess servers

Nothing got blocked.
    I'm not sure that it's actually getting to the point of even trying to log onto a server, in case that matters
    -- it's the process of
    retrieving the list of available servers (or "rooms&quot, along with
    how many people are supposedly on each one, that's being blocked. (Hoping that makes sense...) Instead of a real list, I get their fake one with the three bogus rooms, which, of course, all have zero people online. :-)
    In case it makes any difference, I had
    already successfully
    logged onto Yahoo, in general, before going to the chess webpage, and the java chess thing recognized that I had done so, when it started up, as it used the proper "avatar" for that login name, etc.
    It just won't display the list of "rooms" to choose from, unless ZA is turned off.

Also make sure the Parental control is disabled. Often it will block off wanted content or scripts.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

clrj Guest

It's off, too -- haven't ever used it, in fact.

Tried Guru Hoov's advice to enable the Privacy Advisor and watch to see what is blocked?
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information