Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox - Ebay/Amazon and other sites - XP Zonealarm suite

jimkwtf Guest

Default Firefox - Ebay/Amazon and other sites - XP Zonealarm suite

I have not been able to properly access Ebay, Amazon and a lot of other sites since the last couple of Zonealam updates.

Symptoms:
    Sites take forever to load, and/or never load all images, and/or never finish loading, and/or never let me signon to site. Some sites will work better in IE 7 than Firefox 2.0 but some sites do not work in either. In ebay for example I either never get the signon screen or pages never finish loading. Amazon usually takes forever to load and doesn't display many image files. Wikipedia loads fine in IE7 but never in Firefox and it brings up a screen of text that looks like it starts with what would have been cookie content and appears to be the html code typed out but nothing actually executes and displays.

Investigation:
    If I completely disable privacy (cookie and ad sliders) for all sites then the sites work fine. I did the usual and allowed all options for the specific sites and any others they called that showed up in the privacy list after I reset the list. Helps on some sits but not others and completely fixes none of them.

A couple of interesting things:
    When I go to a site that doesn't work. Zonealarm adds pa2.zonelabs.com to the privacy site list even though I turn data sharing off. If I delete that site (pa2) Zonealarm does not add it back, but if I have privacy on high and then go to a site I have not setup the privacy advisor uses the name of whatever site is the first entry on my sitelist as the name of the site in the advisor box. That is, I might go to xyz.site that needs cookies and instead of telling me that Zonelarm blocked cookies for that site it displays site a.abc.com as having its cookies blocked. If I edit a.abc.com on the sitelist to allow cookies then Zonealam allows cookies for the xyz.site. Zonealarm will add pa2.zonelabs.com to the privacy list if i reboot and go to a problem site.

IF I load Fiddler as a local proxy server and change firefox to use it as the proxy server for Internet access, everything works perfectly. All sites are fast and proper. Zonealarm privacy works completely and blocks or allows items as I edit the sitelist...

So, **bleep** is going on????????????

Anyone have any ideas? Hopefully someone form Zonelabs sees this and they have an idea? I can use it for now by just having a local proxy running but that obviosuly seems really stupid to have to do that and implies to me that Zonealarm is having some serious problems at least with firefox. I have seen other people post similar problems ith no apparent resolutions so I have tried to provide more detail so Zonelabs can tell us what is going on and what the fix is. I can tolerate a short term problem but will not renew my subscription if they don't fix it. Since IE7 is also impacted I have to assume unless Zonelabs shows differently that the problem is Zonelabs and not for example Firefox.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

kritiker Guest

Default Re: Firefox - Ebay/Amazon and other sites - XP Zonealarm suite

This has been the single most helpful post I have seen about this problem. I am dismayed that your post has received so litttle attention.

I too tried Fiddler as my Firefox proxy server and now Ebay.ca works just fine as, you have said. Also, as you said, the ZoneAlarm Privacy features do seem to work.

Perhaps some of the knowledgeable experts here can shed further light on what is going on? Fiddler is available at http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/

HI!
    thank you for your post, unfortunately ZA staff does not monitor this forum.
    We are all users here. The only way to effectively report to ZA is to write to their ZA technical support.

Here: www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Yes, with the proxy server its basically like if you turn off the ZA privacy feature.
    Unless you set it up also in ZA (ZA overview --> preferences)

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 04-16-2008 05:08 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

kritiker Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:...
    Yes, with the proxy server its basically like if you turn off the ZA privacy feature.
    Unless you set it up also in ZA (ZA overview --&gt; preferences)...
    <hr></blockquote>Can you elaborate on precisely what needs to be done? It appeared to me that privacy worked without doing anything special but now you have me wondering. Thanks.

Hi!
    it may be well that ZA works... one way to check is to clean the ZA site list and see if it gets populated while you are using firefox.
    Otherwise you need to insert information about the proxy on the ZA overview --> prefences tab --> options button.

What is described here is more related to a corrupted setting in ZA (e.g. try to remove firefox from the list and let ZA recreate it by opening firefox) or a general failure of the ZA database (can be fixed by a complete reset of the ZA databases)

Finally other possibility is conflicts with other firefox add-ons.
    I have no issue with amazon... any specific page?

Cheers,
    Fax

kritiker Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi! it may be well that ZA works... one way to check is to clean the ZA site list and see if it gets populated while you are using firefox.<hr></blockquote>Yes, it populates the site list and Privacy Advisor warnings appear, as appropriate, with my settings on medium for Cookie Control and Ad Blocking and On for Mobile Code Control, all in a Windows XP Pro SP2 system.
    <blockquote><hr>What is described here is more related to a corrupted setting in ZA (e.g. try to remove firefox from the list and let ZA recreate it by opening firefox)<hr></blockquote>Tried that - no luck.<blockquote><hr>or a general failure of the ZA database (can be fixed by a complete reset of the ZA databases)<hr></blockquote>Tried that too - no luck.
    <blockquote><hr>Finally other possibility is conflicts with other Firefox add-ons.<hr></blockquote>The problem persists even with a clean install of the latest (2.0.0.13) Firefox version with as complete an eradication of the prior installation as I could manage, with no add ons at all.<blockquote><hr>I have no issue with amazon... any specific page?<hr></blockquote>My quick test for this problem was to try the &quot;See all Feedback&quot; link on http://myworld.ebay.ca/someebayuser.

I had described all my symptoms (commonly but not universally reported by others) at length in
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=32709. Essentially some eBay.ca pages took forever to load, if indeed they ever loaded.

I had tried every possible combination of fixes including complete re-installations of both Firefox and ZoneAlarm, including on a fresh Windows XP install image from early in my computer's history including also granting permissions to a zillion eBay sites, all to no avail.

The only things that caused the problems to disappear consistently were (any one of):
    1. Use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox or
    2. Shut down ZoneAlarm or
    3. Turn off (in the Privacy tab) all Privacy settings (cookies, ad blocking and mobile Control), for all sites (for all applications)or
    4. Turn off (in the Program Control tab) Privacy Control for Firefox (for all sites)or
    5. Manually turn off (in the Privacy tab) all Privacy settings (cookies, as blocking and mobile Control)while browsing the affected pages and then turning them all back on or
    NOW FINALLY
    6. Using Fiddler as my proxy server.
    It's not an ideal solution but it's the best one yet. It also shows that many more sites are visited than shown by ZoneAlarm. Most of these should have had permissions inherited from eBay.com and Ebay.ca but who knows, for sure.

All I know is that using Fiddler, even with the added overhead it introduces, now gives me the kind of eBay experience with ZoneAlarm and Firefox that I haven't had for quite some time.

Hi!uuuhm interesting staff.. I will try that address and report back..Cheers,Fax

Hi!tried the site... yes, I see the same issue.Well, the best now is to report to ZA technical support at: www.zonelabs.com/tsform Not sure when and if it will be fixed but the principle is always the same... more reports more likely ZAlabs will do something about it.Cheers,Fax

dumbbo Guest

Been having the same problem for ages, and never figured it out. I have to shut down ZA to use eBay. I've now installed Fiddler, and would appreciate it if you could give me a little more info on what settings in ZA and/or Fiddler I need to adjust.

Thanks!

kritiker Guest

<blockquote><hr>DumbBo wrote:
    Been having the same problem for ages, and never figured it out. I have to shut down ZA to use eBay. I've now installed Fiddler, and would appreciate it if you could give me a little more info on what settings in ZA and/or Fiddler I need to adjust.<hr></blockquote>You already have Firefox and ZoneAlarm installed. Install Fiddler (watch out for the system requirements noted here: http://www.fiddler2.com/Fiddler2/version.asp, mainly .NET Framework v2.0 or later), and then install the &quot;Quickproxy&quot; add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1557) to give you one click access to Fiddler when you need it.

You need to configure Firefox to use Fiddler:
    * Open FireFox Tools | Options
    * Go to Advanced | Network | Connection | Settings
    * Set the Manual proxy configuration option
    * Set HTTP Proxy to &quot;127.0.0.1&quot; and Port to &quot;8888&quot;, without the quotes
    I also have &quot;No proxy for:&quot; currently set to &quot;localhost, 127.0.0.1&quot; but I cannot recall if that is the default or what.

You could switch back and forth manually between &quot;Direct connection to the Internet&quot; and &quot;Manual proxy configuration&quot; in the &quot;Connection Settings&quot; dialogue but &quot;Quickproxy&quot; makes this switch almost painless.

I have Quickproxy configured to use &quot;Manual Proxy Connection&quot; (in Firefox see Tools | Add-ons | Quickproxy | Options)

As far as I recall, I use the default Fiddler settings in &quot;Fiddler Options&quot;. For ZoneAlarm I use whatever options I want. The Privacy settings all SEEM to work but the &quot;Privacy Adviser&quot; doesn't always seem to display, so I am not 100% sure. For Firefox I use the &quot;Quickproxy&quot; add-on to give me one click access to Fiddler when I need it.

I generally use Firefox and ZoneAlarm, configured as I need them. When I need to access eBay, or whatever other site isn't working right, I start Fiddler and then click on the &quot;QuickProxy&quot; icon in Firefox to have it use Fiddler. After that I leave Firefox configured to use Fiddler until I no longer use eBay. Then I just click on the &quot;Quicjproxy&quot; icon and Firefox bypasses Fiddler. I don't usually bother to shut down Fiddler.

Here are some other useful Fiddler links:
    * Using Fiddler with non-Internet Explorer Browsers, http://www.west-wind.com/WebLog/posts/4085.aspx
    * Fiddler HTTP Debugger - Configuring clients, http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/h...up.asp#Q-NonIE
    * Using Fiddler with Firefox, http://javaswamy.blogspot.com/2007/0...h-firefox.html
    * Fiddler HTTP Debugger - A free web debugging tool, http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/
    * Installing Fiddler, http://www.fiddler2.com/Fiddler2/version.asp

Message Edited by Kritiker on 05-05-2008 06:47 AM

Message Edited by Kritiker on 05-05-2008 06:50 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information