Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Internet Access With ZA Security Suite Running

ebonyflyer Guest

Default Lost Internet Access With ZA Security Suite Running

Hi,
    I'm running ZA Internet Security Suite on a Win XP Pro SP2 machine and am not able to access the Internet with IE 7.0 since installing the latest update.
    After reading other posts in this forum and their proposed solutions, I thought I'd give them a try, so I added the IP addresses for both the primary and backup DNS & DHCP servers to the ZA Trusted Zone, as well as adding the Loopback IP address to the Trusted Zone as well.
    I also ensured the svchost.exe had trusted and Internet rights.
    Why am I still unable to access the Internet with Internet Explorer?
    Can anyone help?
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:949715526
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3785
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    Thanks in advance!
    Ebonyflyer

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Lost Internet Access With ZA Security Suite Running

Open the WINDOWS\Internet Logs folder and look for and post the details inside of the LSPConflict.txt file (open with notepad).
    Any other security installed on the PC?
    Try a tcp/ip reset and see if that helps:

in the command prompt run this command:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357)

and reboot.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

babaluman Guest

I just had the same problem. But my solution was different. My ZoneAlarm Internet Security license expired 4/28. My new ZoneAlarm Internet Security version had just arrived and I hadn't installed it.
    Over the next two days, I had increasing difficulty connecting to my home wireless, which on Thursday essentially became no connection. On Wed, I had no problem connecting to my university wireless, however.
    Dell had me reinstall the driver for my wireless adapter - no improvement. I finally tried shutting down (the expired) ZoneAlarm and magically, my wireless connection worked just fine. I turned the expired ZoneAlarm back on, and had the same inability to connect to the wireless.

Then, I installed the new ZoneAlarm license I just received (about 2 hours ago) and I haven't had any problems with internet connectivity since.

From this, it seems when the ZoneAlarm license expires, something in the settings change. I don't know what. But ZoneAlarm, from all the evidence, was the culprit here.

On Saturday, April 26, I had done a Microsoft update but the problems didn't begin until after ZoneAlarm expired, and since shutting down ZoneAlarm seemed to solve the problem, I don't think it was the update.

<blockquote><hr>babaluman wrote:
    I just had the same problem. But my solution was different. My ZoneAlarm Internet Security license expired 4/28. My new ZoneAlarm Internet Security version had just arrived and I hadn't installed it.
    Over the next two days, I had increasing difficulty connecting to my home wireless, which on Thursday essentially became no connection. On Wed, I had no problem connecting to my university wireless, however.
    Dell had me reinstall the driver for my wireless adapter - no improvement. I finally tried shutting down (the expired) ZoneAlarm and magically, my wireless connection worked just fine. I turned the expired ZoneAlarm back on, and had the same inability to connect to the wireless.

Then, I installed the new ZoneAlarm license I just received (about 2 hours ago) and I haven't had any problems with internet connectivity since.

From this, it seems when the ZoneAlarm license expires, something in the settings change. I don't know what. But ZoneAlarm, from all the evidence, was the culprit here.

On Saturday, April 26, I had done a Microsoft update but the problems didn't begin until after ZoneAlarm expired, and since shutting down ZoneAlarm seemed to solve the problem, I don't think it was the update.
    <hr></blockquote>

Seems to be unusual - the ZA will continue to function as a firewall (and so will the privacy, osfirewall and so forth) after the license has expired. There are just no more updates allowed for the malware scanners.
    I am glad the problem has disappeared. But it should have never happened in the first place.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ebonyflyer Guest

Hi,
    Sorry about the delay in responding, I was away on business...
    I tried a TCP/IP reset plus reboot without success.
    Here's the cointent of the lspconflict.txt file:----------------------------------
    {A47C427F-2C83-4FE4-ABB2-DD2708465C2D}{A47C427F-2C83-4FE4-ABB2-DD2708465C2D} (IDM_LP)
    I do have Lavasoft Ad-Watch SE Professional Build 1.06r1 installed, but each time I've closed Ad-Watch prior to starting Internet Explorer and attempting to open a web page.
    Thanks,
    Doug

No problem.

There exists a LSP conflict between the ZA and the Internet Download Manager's Idmmbc.dll

Winsock LSP: {A47C427F-2C83-4FE4-ABB2-DD2708465C2D}
    C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ idmmbc.dll

I think the issue is not the Ad-Aware, but with the dll of the legitimate download manager.

Please contact ZA Technical Support (free by email) and this report the issue. Hopefully they will have a work around (other than uninstalling the download manager and trying another).

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

babaluman Guest

ZoneAlarm continued to work as a firewall, as far as I can tell.
    Except it somehow interfered with wireless connectivity after the license expired and I continued to use it with the expired license.
    I made sure to update it a couple of days before the license expired, too.

As I said before, the ZA should continue to work as a firewall.
    I never seen this behaviour in the ZA AntiSpyware or ZA Pro versions, so I suspect the antivirus went through sort of hard shutdown or reduction once the licnese expired.
    It would be wise to get the ZAISS renewed as soon as possible - the antivirus should be kept up to date with the latest defintions to ensure the best protection.
    Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ebonyflyer Guest

Hi,
    I took your advice and submitted this problem to Tech Support and here's their reply/solution...(which worked!!)------------------------

I understand that you're having trouble accessing the Internet with IE after updating ZoneAlarm.

This likely has nothing to do with Internet Download Manager. ZoneAlarm Security Suite no longer uses LSP technology

so this certain conflict does not exist anymore.

Going through the instructions below should resolve your issue.

I am having problems with ZoneAlarm, these problems could include:

- Programs keep asking for access after I grant access, and check the remember settings.

- A program that was working, suddenly stopped working (was not updated).

- No matter what I do I cannot get an application to work.

- There is a red X over the ZoneAlarm system tray icon.

- The TrueVector service will not start.

- I just upgraded something and the program is not working correctly.

Solution

There may be a problem with your TrueVector service. ZoneAlarm is dependent on its TrueVector service to function

properly. You may need to refresh the files associated with this service, especially after a networking change, OS

change, or ZoneAlarm update.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that this will remove your program permission

settings (so you may want to make note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together

2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock

3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up

4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box

5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system

6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Thanks to all who assisted in this effort!

Thank you ebonyflyer!
    Nice to know a reset of the database fixed the issue.
    And thank you for posting their reply.

Maybe I should ask somebody at ZL why there is a lsp conflict txt present if it is not being used? AFAIK only the ZA Vista has changed to ndis filtering and dropped the lsp injection. My impression was the windows XP used the LSP injection method. Oh well again, something new for me to learn. Learning never stops.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information