Thread: True Vector shut down, can't access internet!!!

mjsoto Guest

Default True Vector shut down, can't access internet!!!

Last night I updated my Windows XP Media Edition to service pack 3, and everything seemed to be installing fine. This morning I woke up to use my computer and the internet was not working. Firefox would not connect, my IM would not connect, nor would my e-mail client. Then I noticed that Zone Alarm Pro's task bar icon was replaced with a red X. There was no error message on my screen, but when I moved my cursor over the icon it said "TrueVector security monitor has shut down." I open Zone Alarm Pro and everything looks normal except it says "System error; Please reboot" in the top left corner. I reboot my computer, and the internet works while everything is booting up, but once it is done booting, the internet stops working again and the red X appears. I cannot connect to the internet unless I shut Zone Alarm down and restart it. Once it restarts, I can use the internet for maybe 2 minutes before the red X appears again and I am locked from using the internet. I have rebooted several times and uninstalled SP3, but to no avail. I would like to know if there are any other alternatives before I uninstall and reinstall ZA just to find out TV still will not work. Any one else have any problems like this? I have the latest version of ZA and Windows XP Media Edition 2002. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

hammernu Guest

Default Re: True Vector shut down, can't access internet!!!

I use the Security Suite but the Pro version is probably much the same. See if you can do the following. Try the first method and if you don't have the Reset option, try the second.

Strange behavior in ZoneAlarm: database reset

("System Error - Please Reboot", ...)

New way (starting with 7.0.462.0) (doesn't require Safe Mode)

1) Ctrl + Shift right-click on ZoneAlarm System Tray icon

2) Click Reset in popup box

3) Click Yes in Reset Settings dialog box

4) Click OK when prompted to reboot

5) Follow onscreen prompts after reboot

OR (old way):

1) Boot computer into Safe Mode

2) Navigate to "C:\Windows\Internet Logs" folder

3) Delete BACKUP.RDB, IAMDB.RDB, *.ldb, tvDebug.log files

4) Empty Recycle Bin

5) Reboot into Normal Mode

6) Reapply all settings that had previously been changed

jpd Guest

I have the exact same problem today, although I can access the internet through Firefox. I did the right click reset and rebooted, but the problem is still here. I checked my program controls and all the settings and permissions are still there, I was under the impression that they would all be erased. The anti-virus and spyware main page says all systems are go, what is the story here? I'm this close to doing a re-install.

mjsoto Guest

Thanks for the help but I actually followed other really easy instructions and they worked. If anyone else needs them, they may just work for you as well...

Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. Now install a fresh copy of Zone Alarm.

This worked instantly. Thanks for the help anyway

jpd Guest

Thanks for the info mjsoto. I followed your instructions generally and it seems to be okay now. I'll just add a few things. One, ZA would not let me turn off the load on boot option in overview/preferences/general. The box would not unclick, so I just closed ZA by shutdown and did the uninstall without a reboot. Then I could not delete the internet logs folder in c:/windows because the program was in use, although I couldn't identify which program. So I did a reboot and deleted the contents of that folder immediately, which it allowed. After rebooting again to activate the ZA installation the 1st thing you want do is update AV/AS definitions.

My fingers remain crossed.....

bbeeusa Guest

This is my problem. Upon rebooting after a storm passed through this past weekend, MS window came up no firewall or antivirus program installed. I remove the sp3, rebooted and now traffic on internet is extremely slow. Which should not happen as I have a cable modem and was not happening before sp3 was installed.

lr Guest

I have the same problem, the only thing is. I have read and tried just about every thing that has been suggested and it doesn't fix the problem, or its only a temporary fix. The problem is reoccurring and even reinstalling doesn't fix it for longer than a couple of days, a week at max.
    I don't use any other anti-spyware/anti-virus/firewall software, and this is really killing me. I cant keep any sort of special settings cause I have to keep reinstalling every few days.

Does anyone at all have any ideas at all what mite be causing it continue to shut down over and over? Maybe something I'm missing cause I have been working on this for about two weeks now. With mixed results, reinstalling being the best fix so far.

Thread Information