Thread: Cannot use browser without turning off firewall

davilyn Guest

Default Cannot use browser without turning off firewall

For the first week eveything was fine. Then yesterday both computers did the same thing. I can connect to the internet via PeoplePC dialup but every site I try to connect to times out (both I.E. and Opera browsers). After two hours messing with this thing I finally disabled the entire firewall system and everything works again.
    Which defeats the whole purpose of having Zone Alarm. How do I fix this?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

bionic Guest

Default Re: Cannot use browser without turning off firewall

leave the firewall on,try to reset to its default settings..

confirm if the adapter is on the Trusted Zone as well.
    ' luck! =)

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Cannot use browser without turning off firewall

<blockquote><hr>Davilyn wrote:
    For the first week eveything was fine. Then yesterday both computers did the same thing. I can connect to the internet via PeoplePC dialup but every site I try to connect to times out (both I.E. and Opera browsers). After two hours messing with this thing I finally disabled the entire firewall system and everything works again.
    Which defeats the whole purpose of having Zone Alarm. How do I fix this?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:

Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Perhaps this is the cause of your problem. There are hundreds of forum postings the last couple of days, plus there is a large &quot;Critical Issue&quot; notice at the top of each forum topic page. A Microsoft update on Tuesday rendered ZoneAlarm dysfunctional for Windows XP/2000 users (Vista is supposed to be unaffected) and kept it from connecting to the Internet. Did your computer automatically download the offending Windows update a couple days ago--KB951748? ZoneAlarm has since released a fix--new ZA versions, depending on your product.

Please go to the following website to see an explanation of the problem, a couple of temporary workarounds for the problem, as well as the new releases.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html

If your computer didn't do the Microsoft updates on Tuesday, then please post back in the forum and someone will help you with other approaches.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 07-11-2008 02:07 AM

Thread Information