Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP SP3 and degrade network connections

Hybrid View

haydn Guest

Default Windows XP SP3 and degrade network connections

I'm not sure what is going on but since upgrading to Windows XP SP3 (from SP2), things have not been right.
    What I have been observing is that after a short time (perhaps an hour or so) online actively surfing the Internet, eventually page requests begin to fail.
    Even trivial requests to sites that I KNOW are up and active (like Google and Yahoo) begin to fail.
    Coupled with that, requests to download email from my ISP also begin to fail.
    If I disconnect and reconnect to my ISP (I am on low speed dial-up), the problem seems to alleviate for awhile.

I notice that there seems to be a high number of alerts in the ZA log.
    I don't know if this is a higher number than I received prior to upgrading to SP3.

While I was viewing the alert log, I reconnected to my ISP and immediately got another alert.

The bottom line is that I don't know if there is a conflict between ZA (runnng ZA Security Suite 7.0.470.000) and Window XP SP3.

Just as an experiment, I am going to try installing AVG and run with ZA functions disabled to see how this affects my problem with degrading network connections.
    Is anyone else out there seeing network connections impacted by Windows XP SP3?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro x64
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

tpacman Guest

Default Re: Windows XP SP3 and degrade network connections

I too have had problems since installing XP3 service pack.
    I have to disable Zone Alarm to download from Windows Update.
    How do I resolve this problem???

haydn Guest

I don't know at this point.

I just now functionally replaced ZAS with AVG.

Even though AVG is trial software it is completely functional for 29 more days.
    I will run with AVG for a couple days to see how it affects my ability to make network connections, load Web pages, download mail.
    If the degradation clears, then I can either work with ZA support to get to the root of the problem or else abandon ZA for AVG.

I'll let you know how the experiment with AVG turns out.

haydn Guest

Windows seemed to perform somewhat better with AVG than with ZA.

Even after an hour with ZA, Web pages for sites like Google and Yahoo were failing consistently.
    With AVG installed, network accesses began to take a downturn after a day without booting.
    However, the failures were most often associated with line disconnect as well.
    I'm not absolutely convinced that the problem lies with the interaction between ZA and Windows XP SP3.
    I am going to replace AVG with **bleep** and see how network accesses fare.

haydn Guest

I ran for several days using only the firewall included with Windows XP SP3.

Although I was missing the antivirus protection from ZASS, the Windows firewall performed adequately.

Most importantly, I was able to load Web pages and download email the whole time.
    I restored ZASS and received unexpected failures loading Web pages after an hour of actively Web browsing.
    There was virtually no network activity at the time of the failures.

I disconnected from my ISP and immediately reconnected.

The Web pages were able to be loaded with ease.
    Since these failures began only after upgrading to Windows XP SP3,
    I believe there is some incompatibility between the two.
    Dropping and restoring my modem connection seems to have the effect clearing the problems temporarily.

Hi!
    there should be no problem with ZA and SP3. Been running it here since its inception.
    There may be issue with your ZA settings that probably got corrupted during the XP update process.

You could try two things:
    First, reset your ZA settings. This way:

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

and if the above fails, try to clean remove ZA and reinstall:
    http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.html
    (take note of your license since it will be wiped out and remember to remove the folders detailed at the end of the above mentioned folder).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

shinea Guest

Just went through the same. After reinstalling SP3 and ZA several times I noticed that if you set the Firewall Internet Zone Security to "Med." it allows Firefox and T-bird to function. After fiddling with it some more I got it to work in security level "High" by going to the "Custom" settings > Internet Zone > checking "Allow outgoing TCP ports: (in my case it is 80,110,995) ". I don't know why it should be in the "Internet Zone" and not the "Trusted Zone" but that is what I had to do to make it work. Please let me know if I opened my system up to something unpleasant.

shinea Guest

I also had to add port 443 for secure banking page and 465 for T-bird outgoing SMTP. I'm sure I'll need to add more as they come up.

trboxster Guest

Same here.
    For some reason after SP3 installed I couldn't access any internet sites.
    After spending the evening double checking checking all network connections reseting modem and router I tried setting the internet security setting in ZA to medium and "poof" internet connectivty.
    I am running ZA Pro on Windows XP Home.
    I realize leaving the internet security at medium is not ideal but how much more is my computer at this setting vice high?

trboxster Guest

Default Re: Windows XP SP3 and degrade network connections (apparently resolved)

ZA has patch/update to fix the problem.
    I found and downloaded this AM, reset ZA internet security settings to high and still have internet access.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information