Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I put my computer on total lockdown

nayr Guest

Default I put my computer on total lockdown

Here is a message that I sent to customer service which sort of sums up the incident in as many characters as the message allowed.
    I was really hoping to reach someone live but a message will have to do. I was recently playing on Xbox Live and some kid with the gamertag "NeRd DoEs WoRk" said he would send a bunch of "packets" to my router and shut off or slow down my internet connection. I guess he succeeded because I had to call my ISP to get everything sorted out. I talked to a representative at on the Xbox Helpline (1-800-4-MY-XBOX) and had them take care of the situation. But now I have a bigger problem. The person that I spoke to when I called my ISP wanted to know if I had any type of FireWall. And, naturally, I told them yes. They told me to put my firewall on high. So I did. But I started monkeying around with things because I was super scared my dad's credit card was going to get stolen again so I put my computer basically on total lockdown. I can't access anything. Uninstall or the internet. Please help!
    I am on my laptop posting this to see if anyone can help. Whenever I click on Internet Explorer a message comes up saying-
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
    I know this is because I screwed around with the options in ZoneAlarm. I cannot click uninstall or the option to start ZoneAlarm. I really just want this resolved so I can use my PC again.
    Any help is greatly appreaciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    PS: I just now realized that I have to pick a product name. I am not sure whether it was Pro or ZoneAlarm (free). All I know is I had to put in an activation key so I'm pretty sure its Pro.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:

Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by nayR on 06-22-2008 09:28 PM

Default Re: I put my computer on total lockdown

Reset the ZA databse and that should resolve the problem/
    This way:[*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

After the reboot, set the new network found as Trusted.

Then make sure the correct dhcp and dns servers are used in the Zones of the Firewll of the ZA.
    This way:

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

I suppose the "NeRd DoEs WoRk" did a minor DOS to your public IP (the router) and slowed all of your connections. That is easy to do with simple icmp or some specialized constant repeats of the usual tcp connections attempts. But now he banned/blocked off by your provider - a service that the provider should be doing for you.

To determine the ZA product, just open it and have a look, you may be surprised what is inside all of those panels and buttons.
    Or just click the ZA icon of the tray ane click the about.
    Either way works, but have a good look at the ZA.
    Also try this too - open the ZA and press the F1 key of the keyboard - a very interesting good read will be found!

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

nayr Guest

Yeah, do you have AIM or anything you can walk me through it at all. I get what you're trying to do but I have no idea where to start. I just need a step by step walk through because I don't want to screw up anything any further. Like...
    Step 1.) Click Start.Step 2.) etc...
    Lol, I'm sorry. It would be easier for both of us if we could do this on AIM. Thanks for all your help already, I'm glad I found somebody to help me through this mistake.
    ^_^

Sorry. Don't do emails or IM.

Try this (I never said before because you failed to include the correct ZA release before, but if using the latest paid version this will work for you):

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Easy enough for you?

Then follow this thread for a guide with the entering of dns and dhcp as trusted:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=49999

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

nayr Guest

Yeah that's perfect. I got the same answer from the support center chat. But there is one problem. There is no icon in the bottom right corner. I tried holding holding the keys and clicking on the button to start it up and that didn't work either. Any ideas? This really **bleep**s, but thanks for all your help and support. I really appreciate it.

Ok.Is the zlclient.exe and the vsmon.exe seen in the task manager?
    (press the Control and the Alt and the Delete keys all at the same time - Ctrl+Alt+Del - and in the task manager open the processes tab and look for the zlclient.exe and the vsmon.exe processes).
    what is happening - are these are both running or just one or none and which only one?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

nayr Guest

Alright now we're getting somewhere. Yeah I can see the "vsmon.exe" running... Username "SYSTEM"... Memory Usage - "15,800K"
    Don't know if you need any but here is some of that processes extra info. But it looks like
    I don't see the zlclient anywhere. I don't want to screw anything up further so I'll just wait for you to tell me what to do next. I can take a guess that I end the vsmon.exe process from here. But I'll leave the decision making to you.
    ^_^
    Thanks again,

Open the Task Manager.
    Open the Applications tab.
    Open the New Task button in the lower right.
    Copy and Paste this into the address space of the Create New Task window and then Ok it:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"

and use the quotation marks.

The ZA tray icon should appear and now continue from before.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

nayr Guest

I use spaces instead of underscores... correct? I tried that and the message came up saying
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.
    You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
    O_o
    Lol, what's going on... hold on, here's what I typed in again, just to make sure...
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    I used spaces and capital letters. Still didn't seem to work.

Just copy and paste as instructed- no editing required.

If that still fails, then use the browse option and open the zlclient.exe by following it to the file location - ie to the c drive, then to program files then to the zone alarm finally to the zlclient.exe

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information