Thread: Configuration HP Wireless

tmcewan Guest

Default Configuration HP Wireless

I just purchased and setup a new HP Desktop with Vista Home Premium and ZA Security Suite 7.1.254
    The HP has a wirless card built into the desktop so I am using a Netgear Router to connect to the Internet.
    I used to be able to access the Netgear Router by typin in 192.168.0.0 to the IE address bar - but I can no longer do that.
    ZA also used to show 192.168.0.0 as my network address it now shows my actual IP address from my provider.

Am I missing something here?

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Configuration HP Wireless

Venture to guess if the vista is using a public IP (assigned IP from the provide), and not using the private IP (assigned IP from the router), then the router is either not functioning properly or the NAT (DHCP) of the router is not enabled.

Try a resetting of the router - turn off the computers, hold in the reset button of the router (very little narrow button almost not seen) for ten seconds or more and then immediately power down both the modem and router at the same time. Wait three minutes, then power the modem. Wait another three minutes and then power the router. Then wait three minutes and power on the PC.

Open the command prompt in the vista windows and type in ipconfig /all

The router should be seen as the gateway IP and the vista should having a private IP, not a public IP.

If the router still is failing and not functioning, sometimes reloading it's firmware will re-set or restore the router.
    Often there is newer firmware available at the router's verdors web site.

On the other hand, it may be time for a new router.

If the NAT of the router can not be restored even after finally opening the router and manually resetting the DHCP or NAT, then definitely consider getting a new router.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information