Thread: Can't log in using IE7/MSN

lizzyrock Guest

Default Can't log in using IE7/MSN

I've been trying to sign in to various sites tonight using IE7 but all I get is the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message.I can't sign into MSN Explorer either.

I ran the Windows XP Diagnostics and that came up with this

"Network Diagnostics for Windows XP

Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP,HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer.

Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21).

You might need to contact your internet service provider (ISP) or the manufacturer of your firewall software."

It also gave a long list of tech info I don't understand. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yet when I use Firefox I can log in without any problems.

I use XP SP2

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Can't log in using IE7/MSN

Delete the IE7 entry from ZA program control listing.
    Close the ZA.
    Re-open the ZA.
    Now open the IE7.
    Allow all new alerts and use always as the alerts appear while using the IE7.
    When finished using the IE7, open the ZA to it's program control list.
    Give the IE7 three green bars.
    Give the IE7 Trusted and Internet Access and Trusted Server rights with the checks marks.
    Leave the Internet Server and the Email rights set to Ask.
    Close the ZA.
    All should be okay now with the IE7 connections.

What more than likely happened wa the IE7/MSN recently had an update of itself or an update of it's files. In this case, the original file checksums would no longer match the file checksuls of the newer files and the ZA will fail to recognize the new files as being the correct files to be allowed (as before).
    Once the program is removed from the ZA program control listing, the previous file information is removed from the ZA. Once the program is opened and attempts network/internet connections, the ZA will begin to create new rules for the application and things are started all over again.
    This can and will happen with any program that is updated or modified by an update.

Note: if there is malware attacking the system or perhaps malware disguising itself as the another and correctly allowed program then again the ZA will ot allow the connections - due to the fact the file checksums do not match. It is for this reaon the file checksums of applications are very important in the ZA security.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information