Thread: Installed ver. 7 Total Disaster Lost Network Connection

shp Guest

Default Installed ver. 7 Total Disaster Lost Network Connection

Please help.

I've been using ZAISS for the past several years. I've always had problems attempting to upgrade to ver. 7. I spoke to ZA this year and was assured that I'd be able to do it.

I purchased a copy of ZAISS 2008 and installed. I immediately had problems: ZA would not start and my system hung.

So I uninstalled following the manual steps set forth above in the Sticky Post and reinstalled. The result was even worse. My boot time was much longer, ZA did not start and the my system was very, very slow. Worse still I lost my local network connection. The network adapter gave me the "limited or no connectivity" message. When I try to repair it I am told I cannot pull an IP address. Apparently, I've somehow corrupted or lost either my Winscok or my TCP/IP stack.

I've uninstalled ZAISS again and now I'd simply like to be able to restore my network connection.

This is a nightmare.

Please help.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Installed ver. 7 Total Disaster Lost Network Connection

Reset the TCP/IP using the following command:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

press the Enter key of the keyboard after typing in the command into the command prompt (Start | Run | type in cmd.exe and OK).

Then wait a few minutes and immediately reboot.

The reset log that is created will be found in your user's account Documents, for verifing the reset of the tcp/ip was properly completed.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

shp Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think that worked. After entering the command I get the following "Initialization Function InitHelperDll in IPMONTR.DLL failed to start with error code 11003".

shp Guest

OK.
    I think I got it.
    The error I posted above indicates that I've got corrupted Winsock registry keys.
    I ran a little program called winsock fix (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html) and it appears to have done the job.
    I've got my network connection back.
    Now, the question is what do I do for my security.
    I've always loved ZAISS but needless to say I'm a little wary.
    I wonder if I can reinstall the old version and use the registration from the new version to keep me going another year.

If there is a corrupted winsock, then use this command:

netsh winsock reset catalog

Strong possibility the winsock had issues with security applications or a slim chance of malware infected into the LSP.

Uninstalling firewalls and other security with networking features (scanners web scanning or email scans, site/cookie/script blocking, etc) including the antivirus and many of the newer antisoyware scanners is usually the main cause of the tcp/ip and the lsp issues.

Yes the new license will work fine in an older version.
    By all means use the recently paid for license in the older version and get your needed security and a return from your expenditure.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

shp Guest

I actually tried that command without success.
    It took that little Winsock fix utility to do the trick.
    Thanks again!

All things workded out well!

Usually advise the lspfix (it is basically the same as the software youn downloaded/used).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information