Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Mirror Imaging Software - how to get tech support when Zone Alarm does the wrong thing

Default Re: Problem with Mirror Imaging Software

Hi!
    as you probably know by now, this forum is not monitored by ZA staff.
    We are all volunteers users here, trying to help each other.

If you have a valid license you should contact directly the official ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tuberb Guest

I understand, and have already tried a paid call to support, as well as an email to support. No resolution so far, so I am trying for some response from the forums.

Appreciate the attempts to help, but didn't appreciate the snide remarks of the earlier responder. Attempts to help that restate the obvious or don't involve a reading of the problem are not in fact helpful, but a waste of time.

Barry

<blockquote><hr>tuberb wrote:
    I understand, and have already tried a paid call to support, as well as an email to support. No resolution so far, so I am trying for some response from the forums.

Appreciate the attempts to help, but didn't appreciate the snide remarks of the earlier responder. Attempts to help that restate the obvious or don't involve a reading of the problem are not in fact helpful, but a waste of time.

Barry
    <hr></blockquote>

Not knowing how or why to read firewall logs or attempting misconfigure the firewall beyond it's normal operational parameters is not being snide- it is something every administrator knows to begin from long ago and does very often.
    Yet. you did not contact ZA by email until I suggested this to you. To say you have already contacted the TS is incorrect - you instead were griping about hours with phone support at costly per munute rates with some other firm.

Besides the fact, the company in question security issues should be addressed with proper perimeter defenses and solid group policies, instead of attempting to use personal PC solutions for the desktops.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Hi!I think GURU Oldsod gave you some genuine and useful suggestions.In a case like this the first thing I will do is completely remove ZASS with /clean switches.See here: http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlResinstall latest version (here: www.zonealam.com/zasuitedownload/).Keep default settings. Ensure DNS/DHCP are set as trusted (in firewall zones)Ensure your Program Control is set to AUTOLEARN and check again your issue.If it is a bug it needs to be followed up with ZA technical support that is the only one that could further investigate the issue.Cheers,Fax

tuberb Guest

Not to belabor this, but...

I had a paid call to Zone Alarm technical support yesterday afternoon (which I thought I clearly stated in my first message), after troubleshooting things for several hours with tech support from the Mirror vendor (which would normally have cost us several hundred dollars at their published rates for this type of call, but which they said we would not be charged for because the problem turned out not to be with their product). Zone alarm support could not offer any suggestions over the phone (even at $3 a minute), promised to follow up via email, and did not.

And again, there is NO link to tech support email on the zone alarm web site's support page, or on the contact us page; only links to paid phone options, to an instant support tool that only can handle simple problems, or to these forums. The last time I had occasion to contact zone alarm for tech support (in 2006) that was not the case; there were clearly visible email options available. I appreciated your giving me the link to tech support's email, but I am not sure I understand why you are criticizing me for not knowing it. Maybe as someone who has made over 6700 posts to these forums, you have a better idea than I do about why it is a good thing that zone alarm is making its tech support options harder to use, rather than easier.

I am also not sure what you mean by the rest of your post, about &quot;Not knowing how or why to read firewall logs or attempting misconfigure the firewall&quot;. Is there something wrong about what I am doing when installing a new version of Zone Alarm causes a previously working software application to stop working, even when we respond to Zone Alarm's prompts to always allow the program to do what it needs to do?

All that aside, I actually found your responses somewhat helpful (even though you did not always seems to read and understand what I had written) until you started making a joke attempt about how nice it must be to have rich clients, after I had spent a noticeable chunk of my own time (which equals my money) trying to get around ZA's blocking of our software. That was the snide remark I objected to.

As far as your last comment &quot;Besides the fact, the company in question security issues should be addressed with proper perimeter defenses and solid group policies, instead of attempting to use personal PC solutions for the desktops.&quot; are you saying we shouldn't be using the ZA product at all because it is inappropriate for our office? If that's the case, why are you spending all this time &quot;advising&quot; people about how to use it?

Barry

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>tuberb wrote:
    And again, there is NO link to tech support email on the zone alarm web site's support page, or on the contact us page; only links to paid phone options, to an instant support tool that only can handle simple problems, or to these forums. The last time I had occasion to contact zone alarm for tech support (in 2006) that was not the case; there were clearly visible email options available.
    Barry
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>By the way, if you used the Install support and clearly say 'no' to the suggestion given (i.e. suggested step did not resolved theissue), instant support willprovide you the direct link to ZA technical support. This is done to avoid flooding of requests that can be easily resolved by the standard troubleshooting solutions.ZA never published a direct link to ZA support in their web pages (at least in the past 4 years).:8}Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 07-08-2008 08:01 PM

Actually I have more than 6700 posts - probabaly closer to 20,000 posts.
    The forum has had periodic many "cleanups" where posts/pages of the forum are removed and thus the "new" post count totals is directly reflected as to remaning number of total posts.
    Oh your own time is involved.... just stop and think ... those 20,000 posts are all my own time and nobody elses time. Free, as in libre and free beer, time.

Seems easy enough to find the support - the support page is in visible view of the main site page.
    Yet many people seem to miss the sidebar or the horizontal header of links.

What is wrong you should be long aware of perusing the firewall logs for dropped or blocked connections or blocked events. This is one of the most basic procedures or known steps when using any firewall of any kind.
    Altering the exact process procedure of the firewall by adding incorrect data and then expecting the firewall to correctly respond is wrong. The software was designed to function using a certain method and not any other methods.

Relying on prompts has not been productive so far for you.
    Have the ZA alerts been answered correctly?
    Plus it does seem the firewall has been mis-configured - the earlier mention of setting the program control slider to High to force the problem through, when in fact the High setting is basically a "deny all not previously allowed" setting and the thus the High setting is making matter worse, not better. There are possible other mistakes performed.

All the proper configuring and settings is well explained in the ZA help chm or pdf.
    I am no longer surprised how many well versed/experienced ZA users have yet to read the manual and get a better background in the use and operation of the ZA.

I never advise people to use the ZA for an office or business or enterprise. There should be no need if the proper perimeter is setup for the local are network and is used correctly along good policies/administration on the proper desktop/work stations.
    The ZA is a personal firewall solution mainly just for home users.
    Yes the home user should definitely use a desktop software firewall as the usual safe guards and proper practises always practised in the business/enterprise networks never comes into existance on the home users network/desktops.
    The home user needs all the help they can get - and that help includes a software firewall.

There many are good reasons why almost every corporate or enterprise network never installs any kind of software firewall on the desktops/work stations. Ever stop to think why this is?

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-08-2008 02:17 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tuberb Guest

I just don't know what to say...

I'll just address one point re: &quot;Seems easy enough to find the support - the support page is in visible view of the main site page.&quot;; yes the support page is visible, but there is no link on it, or on any page it links to, which offers a link or an address to send an email to tech support.

Barry

What can I say. Many find it easily and many post asking where it is.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

forum_moderator Guest

Hello,Since this is very specialized software being used and not your everyday run of the mill application that any old home user may install there is a possibility there could be a compatibility issue and ZA support wont be able to resolve.I would suggest the following. Get the other software company involved and testing ZA with there product. They can download a 15 day trial for free for testing and maybe they can determine if it requires custom settings in ZA to function or not.Best regards,Forum Moderator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information