Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem with Mirror Imaging Software - how to get tech support when Zone Alarm does the wrong thing

tuberb Guest

Default Re: Problem with Mirror Imaging Software

Thanks for the suggestion. I did get them involved (their tech spent 3 hours on the phone with me looking at screen sharing sessions on 3 PCs as we tried to tweak Zone Alarm to work with the software). We were able to get one of our PCs running ZASS 70_470 to let the software run after some combination of opening ports, adding IP addresses to the trusted zone, and adding a few of the application's dlls to the trusted programs list. I then tried to downgrade the other 2 computers from 70_473 to 70_470 but was unable to replicate the settings (and some of the settings for the trusted dlls that Zone Alarm accepted on the working machine it would simply not accept on the other PC's).

I am going to try the suggestions to look at Zone Alarm's log to see what it is doing, but am offsite until Thursday and Zone Alarm will not let me change any of its configuration settings or see the log remotely, even after editing the disableKeyboardMouseProtection setting in the XML file that some people suggested (we made the change but I am still locked out, using a version of UltraVNC).

Still no follow up from tech support from the paid phone call, and have emailed them as well, but have gotten nothing back other than a "maybe you'll hear from us in 2 business days" response.

If I don't hear back from tech support and if my attempts to get things working based on the log entries don't lead to anything, I guess we'll find out what happens when I ask for a refund...

Barry

forum_moderator Guest

Another thing to do is turn off, or lower settings in ZA one at a time until it does start to work.Id suggest turing off AV, AS, Imsecruity, Email protection, Privacy controls/spy site blocking, parental controls andOS firewall.Leave Internet zone to High and Trusted Zone to Medium and work you way down from there.Forum Moderator

forum_moderator Guest

Also check for an MS update on your systems MS update KB951748If its installed uninstall that also.Forum Moderator

tuberb Guest

Thanks for the suggestions.

Barry

tuberb Guest

Just thought I'd update this thread to indicate ultimate resolution...

Went back onsite on Friday (ended up spending Thursday dealing with the Microsoft update issue with another client that had ZASS installed) and installed 70_483 on both machines we were working with (both of them had the bad Microsoft update downloaded since I was there earlier in the week and were dead in the water using 70_480). Did clean installs after deleting the rdb and other files as per suggestion above.

Turned all logging and alerts at both machines on to maximum as had been suggested. Started the Mirror application up on one machine and it ran without issues!. Went over to the second machine, configured it the same way, tried to start up Mirror, and the application failed to run, giving us the same error we had been receiving previously. No information in the logs, except for one entry for the application's main module, which coincided with ZA's initial question posed about whether to allow it to run. Then went back to the first machine, and without changing anything, tried again to run Mirror, and this time it would NOT run, and gave us the same error we just got on the second machine.

At this point, given the inconsistent results and the continued lack of response from tech support I uninstalled Zone Alarm from all 3 machines, purchased AVG Security Suite, installed it without major issue on all 3 machines (where Mirror runs just fine now, thanks very much), and requested a refund from Customer Service for the 3 machine license we had just purchased.

Barry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information