Thread: access to internet blocked // truevector service dropped

rbsage Guest

Default access to internet blocked // truevector service dropped

After updating firefox, installing windows update and plugging router into new surge suppressor, I get the truevector service unexpectedly dropped message.
    see my post on the windows messages area.
    I also see a system error reboot message in the top of the zone alarm window.
    I have turned off zone alarm and still get no access to internet.
    this computer is on the same network and has no problems.
    I can access this computer across the home network and access the printer on the netgear print server.
    when I first reboot, it appears that the computer connects and I can get a few minutes of internet access, then get popup indicating true vector service dropped.
    Please help with suggestions.
    ThanksRob

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: access to internet blocked // truevector service dropped

Windows update and upgrading the Firefox has changed the original file sums and these files are no longer recoginized by the ZA. The router's surge surpressor is irrelevant.
    Either manually remove thos e file entries from the ZA program list or reset the ZA database and start fresh (as when the ZA was first installed).[*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

After the reboot back to the normal mode,then make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc:
    1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Now comes the question as to why the true vector service is dropped - what else for security is installed on your PC?
    Something is causing this interferrence and most likely a presently installed security or from files left over from a previously uninstalled security software.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

rbsage Guest

Your advice was spot on. Thanks, I was tearing my hair out trying to figure it out and that is not easy for a guy with a bald head. I only did the steps you listed. I have not experienced the truevector stopping since. did this get cross posted to the windows/ZA alerts page, where I first posted? Would that be useful?
    thanks
    Rob

You are welcome Rob.
    I usually post that exact same advice from time to time for others and so do some others, so the advice does continuously keep re-appearing.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information