Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another problem with MSFT update - XP(KB951748)

ab_onguard Guest

Default Re: Another problem with MSFT update - XP(KB951748)

Thanks for your suggesting an expert rule for "My Computer" with any time, source, destination and protocol. With it, leaving Internet Zone Security left on HIGH, one can browse the Internet and download email. I hope ZA comes up with a solution for MS updates.

How safe is this "expert" rule? Just for the interim?

madisonkobalt Guest

I also encountered this situation today with Windows XP Hotfix KB951748.
    Like the previous poster, I am running WinXP Pro w/SP2 on a cable network (Charter) and using ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

It appears to be the same problem and may relate to DHCP Server configuration.
    Here is the event log from just after the reboot.
    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxxx. The following error occurred:

The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Hope this helps either Zonelabs or Microsoft to fix this issue.

Message Edited by MadisonKobalt on 07-09-2008 08:32 AM

madisonkobalt Guest

I am making an assumption about your Windows configuration; but suspect that to avoid the situation you experienced, you would need to disable MS AutoUpdate for Security patches.
    Otherwise MS just re-installs the update as soon as you uninstall it and reboot.
    Hope Microsoft / Zonelabs fixes this soon.

defbomb Guest

Same problem here. I spent an hour fussing with router and cable modem, rebooting, installing fresh zone alarm (I had been pputing zone alarm in game mode thinking that would allow all traffic), finally tried disabling zone alarm and browsing work again. This all happened right after latest windows update. Same problem just occurred on my other computer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information