Thread: No access due to "Internet Lock" - which is NOT enabled

glenno Guest

Default No access due to "Internet Lock" - which is NOT enabled

All of a sudden ZoneAlarm Pro is blocking all internet access, claiming (in the log) that the Internet Lock is enabled.

But it is not. I even tried enabling and disabling the lock, to no avail.

The only thing that changed was a regular Windows XP update and restart. But I don't see how that could have affected ZoneAlarm in this way.

I can't even try to do a ZoneAlarm update (though I believe it is up to date), because simply running ZoneAlarm blocks all internet activity.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: No access due to "Internet Lock" - which is NOT enabled

Either delete the ZA database this way:
    [*] Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together[*] Right click on the ZA icon near your clock[*] Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up[*] Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box[*] When prompted, choose OK to restart your system [*] Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

or this way:[*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

That should fix things.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

lora Guest

Hi Gleno:
    Right click on the ZA icon by the "time" and click on the menu option:
    "shut down ZA Pro".
    Click "start", click "control panel", click "add/remove programs", (make sure there is a "check mark" in the box at the top of the page saying "show updates", scroll down almost to the bottom of your page and find the WINDOWS SECURITY UPDATE No. KB951748:
    Simply click once on this update to highlight it in blue, and click "REMOVE".
    It's gone.

"red X" out of that page and get back to your desktop
    click "start", under "All Programs"
    go to "Zone Alarm",
    click once on "Zone Alarm Security" which will bring it up onto your desktop, and it will be back "up and running".
    Problem solved?
    Lora

ronczap Guest

This is proabably due to the MS update KB951748 which came oout today. ZA support is looking into the problem. You can uninstall the MS update or set you ZA internet zone security level from high to medium.

rdenny Guest

Heavens, that's hardly needed. Create an expert rule allowing access from My Computer to any destination, any protocol, any time. Then you can leave your Internet Zone Security on High. This is an ugly bug though :-)))

<blockquote><hr>rdenny wrote:
    Heavens, that's hardly needed. Create an expert rule allowing access from My Computer to any destination, any protocol, any time. Then you can leave your Internet Zone Security on High. This is an ugly bug though :-)))
    <hr></blockquote>

That and other suggestions from the ZA users are working for the MS update issue, but this poster had inquired about an Internet Lock issue.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

glenno Guest

Thanks all for replies so far! Some questions:

1. If I deleted today's MS update, could that cause any problems? Wasn't that an important security update?

2. rdenny: Would your suggestion of creating the expert rule solve this weird problem? If so, can you or anyone explain how to do that?

3. Oldsod: Will your suggestion of deleting the ZA database get rid of any data I've already set up in ZA that I'll have to set up again? Like, say, all my settings and/or list of blocked sites, etc? (If the latter, yikes, that'd take hours to re-enter.)

4. Does anyone know WHY ZoneAlarm would be claiming the Internet Lock is enabled even though it clearly is not? When I hover the cursor over the lock, it even says &quot;The Internet is not locked.&quot; But the log entries say otherwise, and access is blocked while ZA's running. This is bizarre, no?

Thanks again!

<blockquote><hr>glenno wrote:
    Thanks all for replies so far! Some questions:

1. If I deleted today's MS update, could that cause any problems? Wasn't that an important security update?

2. rdenny: Would your suggestion of creating the expert rule solve this weird problem? If so, can you or anyone explain how to do that?

3. Oldsod: Will your suggestion of deleting the ZA database get rid of any data I've already set up in ZA that I'll have to set up again? Like, say, all my settings and/or list of blocked sites, etc? (If the latter, yikes, that'd take hours to re-enter.)

4. Does anyone know WHY ZoneAlarm would be claiming the Internet Lock is enabled even though it clearly is not? When I hover the cursor over the lock, it even says "The Internet is not locked." But the log entries say otherwise, and access is blocked while ZA's running. This is bizarre, no?

Thanks again!
    <hr></blockquote>
    Hi glenno

Uninstall the those two MS updates and then see if the ZA works okay.
    Either ZA or MS will remedy the update issue- in either case, the MS updates can always be re-installed.

As for actual security risks, the windows have had this DNS vulnerability for a long time. To worry about the possible security issue from lack of two updates is almost trivial, considering that this DNS vulnerability has been existing in Windows since the beginning of the XP operating systems initial release.
    It is more secure to leave the Internet Security slider to High instead of Medium.
    (unless you have created very specific expert rules to give absolute user control).

If the uninstall of the MS two updates does not remedy the problem, then I suggest to follow the ZA database reset suggestion. And yes all the previous settings and configurations will be gone.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

glenno Guest

Thank you so much for the help, Oldsod - and everyone!

I removed update KB951748, and the problem has gone away.

Hopefully the error will be fixed later. For now I shut off MS Auto Updates just to stop it from peddling that update.

G

<blockquote><hr>glenno wrote:
    Thank you so much for the help, Oldsod - and everyone!

I removed update KB951748, and the problem has gone away.

Hopefully the error will be fixed later. For now I shut off MS Auto Updates just to stop it from peddling that update.

G
    <hr></blockquote>
    I am so glad to hear things are properly working.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information