Thread: Does Checkpoint Provide ANY Support?

mandy_w Guest

Default Does Checkpoint Provide ANY Support?

Like others who posted messages here, this morning (Jul-9-2008), I discovered that after the latest Microsoft update to Windows XP, ZoneAlarmPro will not allow any browser access to the Internet (in my case, I'm using Firefox 3.0). Note that ZAP did not block ALL Internet access, since my E-Mail connection (ISP Comcast; Thunderbird software) still worked. The only way to browse the Internet seems to be to shut off ZoneAlarmPro.

Since this is a serious problem that apparently affects ALL ZAP WinXP users no matter what browser they use, I'd expect that somewhere on the ZoneAlarm web site there would be a formal message from Checkpoint [a] acknowledging that they're aware of the problem and [b] estimating when they might be able to solve it. I can't find anything like that.

In the past, I've experience minor incompatibility issues between ZAP and Firefox and/or Thunderbird in the past (solvable by reinstalling ZoneAlarm), but continued using ZAP out of inertia. If this doesn't get fixed promptly, I'll look for another firewall product.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

tsec Guest

Default Re: Does Checkpoint Provide ANY Support?

The closest thing to an official statement can be found here: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...hread.id=33534

As far as I can see, ZA are busy working on a fix at the moment. Whilst this is being sorted, you can either move your Internet Zone slider to MEDIUM or uninstall the offending patch via Add/Remove Programs.

voltaje Guest

I agree Mandy they should be on red alert for such issues. But, to be fair MS blind sided them. They absolutely needed to inform all major firewalls weeks before such an update. Ultimately they are all responsible for our system security.

collie Guest

I removed the Windows XP update and moved the slider ... ZA is still blocking internet access on IE, Firefox, and Eudora mail. My Mac with absolutely no firewall or antivirus is working fine.

Any additional ideas on how to get connected on the Windows XP, PC, with ZA turned on?
    Thanks

tsec Guest

As far as I can see, removing the update and re-booting should work fine.

Dont mean for this to be a dumb question, but Automatic Updates hasnt re-installed it?

Strange that removing KB951748 hasnt worked for you.

collie Guest

Thanks tsec ... I've set control panel auto updates to alert me before installing updates and checked to see whether the bad update beat me to the punch. I still don't have the update. I'll try restoring to an earlier point, again removing the update, and see whether that gets past some kind of conflict. Thanks for fielding all these questions.

tsec Guest

You're welcome.

Its been an interesting 5-6 hours for me

(it's 2330 here now).

Thread Information