Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft's security update breaking ZA

pokeyca Guest

Default Microsoft's security update breaking ZA

By now, everyone who is using ZA, knows that Microsoft's update KB951748 broke ZA.
    The reason that it broke ZA is that Microsoft had to expand the randomness that the DNS client uses when asking for UDP ports to go to DNS servers.
    ZA only looks for these requests in a certain range of UDP ports, but with the new DNS client (note that IE has not changed, but some of the base networking programs (svchost.exe)), ZA sees requests outside of this range and blocks them.
    Therefore, Internet is broken.
    Unfortunatly, Microsoft didn't tell firewall manufacturers (hardware and software) that they were updating this.
    As a note, on one of my computers, I have Norton Internet Security and disabled ZA, and enabled the firewall from Norton until such time as there is an update for ZA.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

tossl Guest

Default Re: Microsoft's security update breaking ZA

Windows 2000 SP4 is also affectet by this (everyone was talking about XP since now).

Choosing "Medium" Security f r the Internet-Zone in the Firewall-Menu does help here also. I noticed, that also the traffic-indicator isn't working. I only see a static symbol, the ZoneAlarm "Z" as it's normally seen when there is no traffic.

joe_lkr Guest

I have Win2000 also. ZA quit letting me to internet. Tried uninstalling and installing again. No help there.

I installed **bleep** and it works. I'd like to go back to ZA however since I'm used to it. Any word on fixes?

tsec Guest

No word on a fix as of yet. There's been a couple of work-arounds announced but the word from Zone Alarm is to uninstall the KB and wait for a proper fix to be sorted.

guym Guest

How can I uninstall the KB safely?

tsec Guest

Go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
    Make sure there is a tick in the box to show the Updates (at the top of the window).
    Locate KB951748 and remove it.
    Reboot.
    ZA Internet Zone security can be set to High again.

Be sure to check back here regularly for any information on a proper fix for this.

guym Guest

Thanks. I have removed it and now ZA allows internet access.
    However, now Windows asks to install a new update. is it the same one again?

tsec Guest

Chances are it is the same one.

If so, just ignore it for now.

belnahua Guest

Thanks, that's fixed it.

I wonder how many people are struggling and calling their ISP's as they cannot get connected at all to find the solution?

This is a big clanger by M$?

portiadacosta Guest

This is my first post here. Found the board this morning after an initial panic at not being able to get online after the update. Fortunately, I took a chance and removed the update as I guessed it must be that.

But, I usually get tons of email in the morning... and there's almost total silence from my friends. They must all be wondering what to do, and some of them aren't technically minded so they might not know exactly what's happened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information