Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone Alarm denies Internet access following latest Win XP update

golemme Guest

Default Zone Alarm denies Internet access following latest Win XP update

After Win XP automatic update added a security update (KB951748) early this morning, Zone Alarm began denying access to the Internet. I am not the only person to have this experience -- many similar complaints can be found across the Internet this morning.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

golemme Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm denies Internet access following latest Win XP update

Based upon another person's experience (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Secu..._23549534.html), I changed my Internet security setting from High to Medium, and that has allowed me to access the Internet again. However, this means that it is impossible to use the High setting, and therefore impossible to surf the Internet in stealth mode -- a less secure situation.

aceh Guest

I have experienced the same problem.
    I have uninstalled that update until a fix is found.

dany1789 Guest

Same with ZAP 7.0.470.000, running under XP Home edition....uh!
    Could someone from CP gives some details about why, what is the link
    with the MS update, and if we can expect a fix soon either from MS or from CP?
    Unlike AceH,
    I don't want to uninstalled the MS update...
    Thanks a lot,\dany

tsec Guest

You can either uninstall the update or move the Internet Zone security slider to MEDIUM.

Look here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...onealarm_woes/ for a brief explanation on what happened.

btreloar Guest

Me, too. ZoneAlarm says the Medium setting should only be used on a temporary basis. How insecure is Medium mode if a hardware firewall is in place?

tsec Guest

I couldnt say exactly (perhaps a forum Guru could answer this), but if it were me with the slider on Medium and a hardware firewall in situ as well, I'd be happy I guess.

herenowgonesoon Guest

Same problem for me!!!
    Fortunately I had system backup.
    No update available fo ZA soo I guess I'll have to wait to install the security pdate from MS.
    Any chane CP will respond here?

herenowgonesoon Guest

You could always turn on Windoze firewall LOL!!!

Hi!
    yes, you are perfectly secure. Hadware firewall is filtering out any noise from the internet to your system regardless of your HIGH, Medium or OFF settings.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information