Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: URGENT & IMPORTANT Microsoft has just released a se...

callken Guest

Default URGENT & IMPORTANT Microsoft has just released a se...

URGENT & IMPORTANT
    Microsoft has just released a security
    update (KB 951748
    and/or
    KB 951978)
    which has rendered Windows XP users (maybe also Vista) unable to access the internet. The only way at present to regain access to the internet is to switch off Zonealarm or uninstall it - neither of which is advisable.
    I service and administer approximately 200 privately owned computers and I have received about 20+ telephone calls from users with this problem today.
    Does anyone have a workaround for this problem without the need to switch off Zonealarm?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: URGENT & IMPORTANT Microsoft has just released a se...

The work arounds so far reported in are either lower the Internet Security Slider to Medium instead of High or uninstall the two MS updates.
    Adding Expert in the Firewall to allow outgoing HTTP and HTTPS or allowing outgoing ports 80 and 443 in the Firewall's Custom had been reported to work.

The Forum Moderator is advising to either not install the MS updates, KB 951748 and KB 951978, or uninstall the MS updates in the Add and Remove of the Control Panel (check the "Show updates" box to see the listing of the updates).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

hobocs Guest

Confirmed - I've had three calls this am and it appears to be Zone Alarm.Only option I have is to disable/uninstall.

jrstrube Guest

The Security updates posted on 7-8 also rendered my XP systems unable to access the internet without shutting down ZoneAlarm. Until there is a patch or work around I have re-enabled the Windows Firewall.

rachowj Guest

I have encountered the exactly the same problem with the XP, SP2 upgrade sent 7/8/08. I have Zonealarm Suite, with latest update. Zonealarm still allow my network to function and I can access local network printers and other home computers on the same network. If I unload Zonealarm I can connect to the internet. I did a Zonealarm clean install but still could not access the internet without unloading Zonealarm. I then rolled back to July 6, pre-Microsoft update, but this still did not fix the problem. I'm going to try reinstalling Zonealarm after rolling the system rollback to July 6.

callken Guest

Reducing the security slider
    in internet explorer (internet)
    down to medium / low doesn't seem to have any affect. Have uninstalled the
    two MS updates and now have access. Hold on to your hats all you system administrators / pc engineers - this is going to keep us all busy!

jaydowhan Guest

Both myself and my mother could not access the internet ether after the MS update... Have not tried to lower the security settings yet....

mranalogy Guest

Same problem here.

I confirmed that with Zone Alarm on:
    1. A Ping command will work.
    2. No web browsers will work.
    3. Other computers on network (without the Microsoft Update) work just fine.
    4. Problem begain immediately after installing the Windows Update.

With Zone Alarm disabled webbrowser works fine.

Clay Nichols
    IT Manager
    Bungalow Software

mranalogy Guest

Uninstalling the Windows Update fixed the problem.

I'm really surprised the Zone Alarm wasn't on top of this. You'd think they'd get the patches a week or two before everyone else. Oh well.

rachowj Guest

I had the same problem this morning. See my earlier post. As per the Formum Managers Advice, I uninstalled the Microsoft update KB 951748 installed 7/9/08. Somehow it survived when I rolled back my system to a 7/6/08 restore point. The other update KB 951978 had been eliminated by the system rollback. In any case uninstalling these two updates solved the problem. To ununstall go to start->control panel->"add or remove programs" (make sure the checkbox "show updates" is checked at the top. Then scroll way down the the bottom where all the XP updates are listed. Check the dates and the update number, pick the one you want to uninstall, then uninstall and reboot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information