Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: URGENT & IMPORTANT Microsoft has just released a se...

Default Re: URGENT & IMPORTANT Microsoft has just released a se...

The Forum Moderator is suggesting to uninstall the two MS updates in question rather then lower the Internet Security slider to Medium.
    The choice is yours- uninstall the updates or lower the nternet Security slider to Medium.

Glad you made it to the internet despite not having two machines no longer internet functional.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

r_shackleford Guest

Default ANOTHER TEMP FIX -- USING HIGH INTERNET SETTINGS

<blockquote><hr>Oldsod wrote:
    The work arounds so far reported in are either lower the Internet Security Slider to Medium instead of High or uninstall the two MS updates.
    Adding Expert in the Firewall to allow outgoing HTTP and HTTPS or allowing outgoing ports 80 and 443 in the Firewall's Custom had been reported to work.

The Forum Moderator is advising to either not install the MS updates, KB 951748 and KB 951978, or uninstall the MS updates in the Add and Remove of the Control Panel (check the &quot;Show updates&quot; box to see the listing of the updates).

Oldsod.
    <hr></blockquote>

&gt;&gt;ANOTHER TEMP FIX

This worked for me:

In Zonealarm click on Firewall and the Main tab, set the Internet Zone Security back to High.

Then click on Custom - scroll down one and the bottom entry for the High zone is &quot;allow outgoing TCP ports:&quot; That will normally have (no ports selected) after it.

Click on the box on the left; a box will appear underneath for you to enter the ports to be allowed; in the box type &quot;80, 110, 25, 443&quot; without the quotes. You may also want to add any other ports you use regularly.

Ports 80 and 443 allow the browser to work and port 110 &amp; 25 allows pop3/SMTP e-mail to work.

Message Edited by R_Shackleford on 07-09-2008 12:56 PM

Message Edited by R_Shackleford on 07-09-2008 12:56 PM

Message Edited by R_Shackleford on 07-09-2008 12:59 PM

Thanks!
    Yes the system restore will work as a fallback if the uninstallation of the MS updates fails.
    I am so glad you managed to get things sorted out!

I would imagine there are thousands of ZA users with this problem.
    I do wonder how they are making out today.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

rastadogz Guest

There are many, many messages on this forum today explaining you can simply change the ZA Internet Zone Security to Medium and all will work.
    However, ZoneAlarm instead recommends that users uninstall last night's Microsoft Security Update.
    If you can keep it from re-installing, that is probably preferable.
    Hopefully, ZoneAlarm will come up with a fix that will work with the new Microsoft software.
    Soon.

philnm Guest

Same problem with Windows 2000 Professional.Setting Internet Zone Security to 'Medium' allows internet access for Win2000 Pro, too.Hope that ZoneAlarm fixes problem soon and notifies all users.

atlanta Guest

There appears to be a third option - revert to old version of Zone Alarm (see http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=33813).
    Thoughts?

charlesx Guest

I have the exact same problem as everyone else, but the last MS update I have listed on the Add or Remove Programs screen is June 20th.

cruisepro Guest

THANKS so very much. One desktop on my network worked fine, one got no access. I removed the KB951748 update and all is fine!
    Thanks too for the note about checking the box on the add/remove programs area of control panel--that really helped!

ohplease Guest

I have had same Internet access problem (browsers and Outlook) since installing latest XP updates this morning. Uninstalling KB951748 and 951978 worked, but only after second re-boot. Problem was actually worse after first reboot, in that workaround of lowering Zone Alarm Internet Security setting to Medium did not work, and all my Internet access was blocked (except that Windows Update was able to sneak out and then remind me I was missing these updates). Second reboot solved the problem.

Thanks to all who shared their expertise. I tried to restore Windows to previous good config but did not get this option when I pressed F12 on reboot. Presumably there is another way to do this that I don't know about. Then I jumped on this forum and learned how to use Add/Remove for updates. I had never previously noticed the Show Updates box, so I guess some good came of this, after all. Will now do my homework and find out how to restore last good Windows config. For what it is worth, I am running XP SP3, recently installed after crashed hard drive had to be replaced. Don't you love computers? Greatest labor-making (er, labor-saving) devices in history.

kjacks Guest

Here is the reply I got from ZoneAlarm Technical Support after requesting a solution to the KB951748 Windows Update download:
    Thank you for contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Support.
    I understand ZoneAlarm is blocking your Internet connection since installing Windows Updates. I apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may be causing you.
    ZoneAlarm by Checkpoint is aware of this issue and working to provide a permanent solution. As a temporary work around for the time being, we would recommend the following:
    1.) Open the ZoneAlarm client by double-clicking the ZA icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen.
    2.) Select Firewall on the left hand side of the client.
    3.) Click the Main tab on the top right of the client.
    4.) Set the Internet Zone at Medium.
    5.) Try the internet again
    Otherwise, you would be looking at uninstalling the recent Windows Update. I provided further information below to uninstall the update.
    1.) Click Start -&gt; Control Panel
    2.) Open Add or Remove Programs
    3.) Check the check box at the top to Show Updates, if not already checked
    4.) Under Windows XP - Software Updates, click Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
    5.) Click Remove
    6.) Click Next on the Software Update Removal Wizard
    7.) Click Finish to restart
    This information is provided as a courtesy, we don't provide support for Microsoft, so if you have any issues uninstalling the update you would need to contact Microsoft or your computer maker.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information