Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Windows update KB951748 connection issue, just ZA 7?

bwavin Guest

Default The Windows update KB951748 connection issue, just ZA 7?

Like everyone here I suffered from the connection problem after installing the MS update KB951748. I successfully uninstalled the update and am now awaiting a fix.

However, after speaking to others I found someone who'd installed the update but still had internet access, but they are still using ZA 6, is this problem just confined to version 7 I wonder?

Barry

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

mfrappollo Guest

Default Re: The Windows update KB951748 connection issue, just ZA 7?

In another post, I mentioned that my 6.137.XXX worked and another poster replied that his 6.XXX worked.
    So ZA should have a good idea about what is stopping it in 7.XXXX.
    I solved all my issues by bringing the 2 machines that must have IE access to 6.137.
    My contract states I must have a firewall running but, does not say the latest version.

Three machines now work at hight with 6.137.

mecki Guest

Hi there,

my work around is setting internet zone security to medium. I have a router serving as primary firewall and use zonealarm only to keep control of program access and to have a second security layer.

Maybe this will help people who have a configuration similar to mine.

rfjf Guest

Or perhaps that contact with version 6 just had his firewall setting set way low.I think the best way for now is to turn off Windows Automatic Updates, uninstall KB951748 in the Add and Remove Programs in Control Panel, and keep ZoneAlarm settings at the recommended higher safety levels.

bwavin Guest

I checked back with him, he has his security settings on high so the problem does seem version dependant

Barry

kaab Guest

Default Cannot Remove KB951748

I tried fllowing ZA recommendation of removing the KB951748 patch but the Add/Remove Program utility won't give me the option of removing it. Anybody have this happen? What can I do?

alanch Guest

Default Re: Cannot Remove KB951748

Have you checked the box at the top of Add/Remove Programs to Show updates? Once you have done that it should appear near the bottom starting with Windows, and you can then remove it.

kaab Guest

Default Re: Cannot Remove KB951748

Yes, I selected Show Updates. I can view my updates and some of them are allowed to be removed but not KB951748. It states that "This update cannot be removed". I don't get it.

jramont Guest

I had the same issue and was able to go to the control panal and delete the windows update KB951748 and my ZoneAlarm is working fine. Do not use auto update, use custom and make sure that KB951748 is not checked for update

Either uninstall the MS updates KB951748 and KB951698 (in the Control Panel's Add and Remove Programs and check the "Show updates" box) or set the ZA's Internet Security slider to Medium<hr>
    It is more secure to use the Internet Security slider at the High level not at the Medium level.
    Or use the High and create specific rules will work as well with the latest MS updates.

If you wish to retain the MS updates and use the Internet Security slider at High (the default and correct setting), then do an uninstall of the ZA, after the required re-boot then manually remove the files found inside of these folders:
    [*]WINDOWS\ Internet Logs folder[*]Program Files\Zone Labs folder[*]WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs folder[*] any files in the Windows\Temp folder[*] and any files found in the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings[*]empty the Recycle Bin

Then re-install the ZA.

This method has been successful with the older ZA 5.5.094.000 and with the latest MS updated all installed, on a windows xp he sp3.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information