Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Windows update KB951748 connection issue, just ZA 7?

cglrcng Guest

Default Re: The Windows update KB951748 connection issue, just ZA 7?

It could be just ZA 7.0.470.000, but be forewarned about the un-install of just the 1 update (MS Update patch KB951748), of the 3 installed patches...According to MS...PATCHES
    MUST BE REMOVED IN ORDER of installation or it can cause the OS to quit responding or not boot properly. According to an MS security bulletin I just read, uninstalling the patches in an improper order is not supported.
    I ran into the issue during an OS cleaup on a customers laptop yesterday by accident....Connection to the internet before installing the latest 3 patches, then instantly upon restart no connection even though it showed connected at the icon, I
    could get no browser connection. (What I did in that case is re-install ZA 7, then still no browser connection, uninstalled ZA 7, restart then re-install again, still no connection.
    While I am a very longtime fan of ZA (every puter I have ever owned / or worked on has ZA installed, either Free or Pro...and thats thousands upon thousands of puters, so my phone will start ringing very soon now....so I need as much info as possible very soon please Check Point).
    What I did in that particular case yesterday since the customer lives only 3 doors away, was to uninstall ZA and simply turn on the Win XP firewall until I knew for sure what was up, as I had figured it had something to do w/ patch tuesday and the latest MS patches applied. (This isn't the first time that MS patches have done this over the years).
    In the interest of helping CheckPoint and others w/ ZA 7 installed w/ more info....
    I just removed the offending patch from 2 systems I own myself (of course both had lost connection of the browser, but showed connected via the icon), my working machine and my Son's puter, both warned me that another patch (MS Patch KB951978 which is listed right below KB 951748 in both XP Pro Add/Remove Programs listings), "may not work after uninstalling MS Patch KB951748".
    Though both of these systems rebooted properly and seem to show no problems yet (and connection through the ZA 7 was re-established on both just fine), there could be a future problem arise. I also ran QFECheck.exe downloadable from MS and it showed no problems w/ any applied patches as of yet.
    So in the interest of OS safety I suggest personally the following if you have ZA 7 installed...If you have not yet applied the MS patches released yesterday (Patch Tuesday, July 8, 2008), don't do so until CheckPoint gets to the bottom of the problem and finds a fix, or apply everything except MS Patch KB951748, or uninstall all 3 patches in the reverse order that they were actually applied using the Option at MS Windows Update/Microsoft Update listed in "Options" (Review your update history)...mine both show the following order of installation...Last installed was KB951978 then before that KB890830, then before that KB951748...the offending patch it fully appears
    , then re-install everything except MS Patch KB951748.
    I followed Check Point's recommendation before I read MS's warning about the MS bulliten about the "order of removal of patches" warning.
    Or better yet....maybe do what I did and simply uninstall the ZA 7 and turn on the MS Windows firewall until a fix is determined. (No, I don't like that option much either)...But just be careful what you do as MS does not support the removal in the wrong order of patches (as applied, or uninstalled), or the problems it may cause, and they do know it can/does cause issues.
    Their order in the KB article listed like this: (proper removal of an applied MS patch). I am trying to find the page link again right now.
    Patch 1 appliedPatch 2 appliedPatch 2 un-installedPatch 1 un-installed
    Good Luck!
    cglrcng

bwavin Guest

for those who dont want to, or cant remove the patch and dont want to uninstall ZA or reduce the setting to medium can try this, it allows all outgoing requests so is not unlike windows firewall in operation...

Barry

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=55056#M33614

Default The Windows update KB951748 connection issue, just ZA 7?

Either uninstall the MS updates KB951748 and KB951698 (in the Control Panel's Add and Remove Programs and check the "Show updates" box) or set the ZA's Internet Security slider to Medium<hr>
    It is more secure to use the Internet Security slider at the High level not at the Medium level.
    Or use the High and create specific rules will work as well with the latest MS updates.

If you wish to retain the MS updates and use the Internet Security slider at High (the default and correct setting), then do an uninstall of the ZA, after the required re-boot then manually remove the files found inside of these folders:
    [*]WINDOWS\ Internet Logs folder[*]Program Files\Zone Labs folder[*]WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs folder[*] any files in the Windows\Temp folder[*] and any files found in the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings[*]empty the Recycle Bin

Then re-install the ZA.

This method has been successful with the older ZA 5.5.094.000 and with the latest MS updated all installed, on a windows xp he sp3.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Default Re: Cannot Remove KB951748

First make sure the "Show updates" box is checked in the Add and Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Now the installed updates are visible.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Default Re: Cannot Remove KB951748

The uninstaller for the update will be found in it's own update folder found in the windows folder.
    Find the actual update's folder and continue until the spuninst.exe and double click it to open it and uninstall the update.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Best regards.
    oldsod

Default The Windows update KB951748 connection issue, just ZA 7?

Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information