Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems connecting to the Internet -- Zone Alarm seems to be blocking Access

second_chance Guest

Default Problems connecting to the Internet -- Zone Alarm seems to be blocking Access

Dear Zone Alarm,
    This morning, July 9th I attempted to connect to the internet, with out success. I contacted my internet provider -- Time Warner Cable -- and the technical support people checked my modem and did some other tests. One of those tests involved the turning off of specific programs, of which Zone Alarm was one of those programs. When I shut down Zone Alarm and then attempted to connect to the internet I was successful. I could then connect via both my internet browsers and my email accounts through both Outlook Express and Sea Monkey.

I do not know why Zone Alarm is blocking my connecting to the internet or to my email carriers / handlers. Could you please be so kind as to check into why I am having difficulties connecting to the internet because of Zone Alarm. Thank you for your time and kindness in this matter.

Per your information, after turning off Zone Alarm and enabling Windows Firewall I am able to access the internet and my email.

My copy of Zone Alarm was registered on 6/26/2008
    Craig J. Phillips Second Chance to Live

Have a simply phenomenal day.

Craig J. Phillips

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Problems connecting to the Internet -- Zone Alarm seems to be blocking Access

Either uninstall the MS updates KB951748 and KB951698 (in the Control Panel's Add and Remove Programs and check the "Show updates" box) or set the ZA's Internet Security slider to Medium<hr>
    It is more secure to use the Internet Security slider at the High level not at the Medium level.
    Or use the High and create specific rules will work as well with the latest MS updates.

If you wish to retain the MS updates and use the Internet Security slider at High (the default and correct setting), then do an uninstall of the ZA, after the required re-boot then manually remove the files found inside of these folders:
    [*]WINDOWS\ Internet Logs folder[*]Program Files\Zone Labs folder[*]WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs folder[*] any files in the Windows\Temp folder[*] and any files found in the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings[*]empty the Recycle Bin

Then re-install the ZA.

This method has been successful with the older ZA 5.5.094.000 and with the latest MS updated all installed, on a windows xp he sp3.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

billnash Guest

Default Re: Problems connecting to the Internet -- Zone Alarm seems to be blocking Access

Thanks for the instructions. My results may save someone some effort.....I have the latest version of ZA_SS, on a Win2K machine. After the MS update caused connection failure, I uninstalled the update, then did a clean uninstall of ZA. After a reboot, I reinstalled the MS update, rebooted, and reinstalled ZA_SS.Results: Not acceptable, as every single IP address must be added to the Trusted Zone, including the ZA updater!I have uninstalled the MS update again.....
    Interestingly, my XPpro laptop has not yet seen the MS update, while my Win2K desktop got it this morning.

crystalwolf Guest

I removed those two updates and it is set at med. Everytime I turn on the Zone alarm I cannot access internet!X-(What now?Thanks,Laura

<blockquote><hr>crystalwolf wrote:
    I removed those two updates and it is set at med. Everytime I turn on the Zone alarm I cannot access internet!X-(What now?Thanks,Laura
    <hr></blockquote>

Ok try this:[*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

second_chance Guest

Hi and thank you. I lowered my internet access from high to medium and Zone Alarm allowed me to connect to the internet BAM. Am I at significant risk by having the high zone lowered to the medium zone my friend?

As I now have the internet access lowered to medium are there any specific precautions that I need to take to compensate for the Internet Access not being on HIGH?

Thank you for your time and kindness.

Craig

After the clean uninstall, you also did this before re-installing?

Manually remove the files found inside of these folders:[*]WINDOWS\ Internet Logs folder[*]Program Files\Zone Labs folder[*]WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs folder[*] any files in the Windows\Temp folder[*] and any files found in the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings[*]clean the Recycle Bin
    - reboot
    Best regards.
    oldsod

If you are using the PC with a router that has the SPI/NAT or a dsl modem with a built -in NAT firewall, then your risks are very low using the Internet Security slider set to Medium. There should be no increase in any risks.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

second_chance Guest

Hello Oldsod,
    Thank you for your time and kindness. For sake of clarity, do I need to do anything about the service updates from Microsoft that I downloaded and installed this morning?

Do you think Microsoft will fix a bug in the updates in the next couple of days that will correct the situation so that I can raise the bar from Medium to High later this week?

I am not very computer savy so I do not know or want to try to delete files from folders and in the process create more problems for myself?

Do you have any suggestions per proceeding in the future with the present Microsoft updates or other updates that Microsoft may have down the pike?

I have never had problems with needing to change the internet level from high to medium before oldsod. What is up with this change?

Thank you for your time and kindness.

Craig

anotole Guest

Hello,
    Same here - and I would have the same question - what risk do we take being on medium untill the brain upthere fix that problem?
    Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information