Thread: Internet access issue success: sort of

barrnik Guest

Default Internet access issue success: sort of

Started having the same issue as the rest of you (Installed MS malicious software removal tool program and then no internet access).
    As per instructions posted in this forum;Went into "control panel", "add/remove program".When the "add/remove program" window pops up make sure to check the "show updates" at the top.So anyway, I went in there and removed "KB951748".
    My computer rebooted.Set my sliders in ZoneAlarm to max.Voila!
    I got internet access.
    Consequences of this action:
    The update shield keeps showing up in the system tray.
    I can gain access to this forum through IE 7
    I can't gain access to this forum through FireFox 3 (mmm... could be a mozilla issue or zonealarm, not sure)
    Hope this helps out.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

guermantes Guest

Default Re: Internet access issue success: sort of

Regarding FF still not working, this MSupdate works in a strange way. before I called my computer support and found out what the problem was, I was pinging left and right from the command prompt. Ping was the only thing that worked, but only to some servers. I could ping some servers (in Sweden, US and France and Italy) but not others in the same countries. I thought there was a global breakdown in internet communications going on....

Either uninstall the MS updates KB951748 and KB951698 (in the Control Panel's Add and Remove Programs and check the "Show updates" box) or set the ZA's Internet Security slider to Medium<hr>
    It is more secure to use the Internet Security slider at the High level not at the Medium level.
    Or use the High and create specific rules will work as well with the latest MS updates.

If you wish to retain the MS updates and use the Internet Security slider at High (the default and correct setting), then do an uninstall of the ZA, after the required re-boot then manually remove the files found inside of these folders:
    [*]WINDOWS\ Internet Logs folder[*]Program Files\Zone Labs folder[*]WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs folder[*] any files in the Windows\Temp folder[*] and any files found in the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings[*]empty the Recycle Bin

Then re-install the ZA.

This method has been successful with the older ZA 5.5.094.000 and with the latest MS updated all installed, on a windows xp he sp3.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

anotole Guest

Hello,
    I tried that but did not work for me with the latest verions of ZA security suite. Deleted the latest update...did not work either. I am stuck with the medium for firewall. Any other idea?
    Thanks

Deleted or uninstalled? and deleted the previously suggested files in my previous post?
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

anotole Guest

weird enough I could not find taht update in the control panel even with show updates on, so I went in the windows folder and deleted it. Wrong move?

Not correct.
    You should have uninstalled the update using the spuninst.exe which is found inside of the windows update folder for that update.
    Deleting the folder just means the update cannot be uninstalled. Open the recycle bin and see if the folder can be restored, if the recycle bin has not yet been cleaned.
    Other than that, try going back to an earlier restore point using the system restore prior to date before the update from ms.
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

anotole Guest

Thank you oldsod. I will try that.
    Cheers

Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information