Thread: No internet access anymore since latest automatic windows update

wlem Guest

Default No internet access anymore since latest automatic windows update

Since my automatic windows update installed following updates today: KB890830, KB953432, KB951978, KB953465 and KB951748, I cannot access the internet anymore without disabling ZoneAlarm.I tried rebooting the system, uninstalling/re-installing zonealarm without success: no access with zonealarm active.I run windows XP SP3 and zonealarm 7.0.473

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

oddword Guest

Default Re: No internet access anymore since latest automatic windows update

Zone Alarm should not be telling anyone to uninstall this windows update as it is a major security issue. To find out what this update was for please go to this link.
    http://securosis.com/2008/07/08/dan-...atch-released/
    Do not remove the update unless you wanna be vunerable to new viruses that will exploit this fault in DNS.

ottos Guest

Hi,
    I had the same Problem. I set the ZA Internet Security slider to Medium. So it works now. I hope we get an Update from Zonelabs in the next days.
    GreetingsOtto

cglrcng Guest

Call me stupid, but after reading about the patch deployment for the DNS exploit, I am re-installing the MS patch and will rely on the MS Windows XP firewall (or another firewall that I find works), until CheckPoint can solve their problems w/ ZA. If the DNS problem asn't exploited before, w/ the info avail. today it will be soon. I wonder how it relates to the phony Anti-Virus 2009 problems that I have seen cropping up so often recently w/ customers, if at all?
    Good Luck CheckPoint....Solve it and I'll (and all my customers), will be back as soon as you do. My phone is ringing off the hook now....Thanx Dan Cominsky, for fixing a well known DNS problem years old and breaking my fav. firewall in the process. Now, how do I inform all my customers in the shortest amount of time to un-install ZA, turn on the MS firewall, install the patches, clean up the mess and sit and wait for further instructions and still get all my other work done today.
    cglrcng

prl Guest

Uninstalling the hotfix is Zone Alarm's #1 recommended option. I found this:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html

Option 2 did not work at all for me.

prl Guest

My bad, I see they recently updated their suggestions for a fix. Option three on the new page is the one that did not work for me. I also see they changed the Severity from "Medium" to "High".

Originally they said to #1 (recommended) uninstall the hotfix, #2 set the DNS servers in your Trusted Zone, and #3 (not recommended) change the slider to Medium. Guess they had longer to think about it? Makes me wonder about them. And, I just renewed my license before all this happened.

Now, what to do?

xxsawer Guest

You are right...adding DNS servers will not help. Funny is that these servers were already added. I dont understand how? I didnt add them... BTW the slider can be kept on high, but you have to specify which ports to enable...

prl Guest

<blockquote><hr>xxsawer wrote:
    You are right...adding DNS servers will not help. Funny is that these servers were already added. I dont understand how? I didnt add them... BTW the slider can be kept on high, but you have to specify which ports to enable...
    <hr></blockquote>

They were not added in my zones, I did that today when I saw that fix. If you specify the ports, does that leave them open for any possible security breach?

kenmullins Guest

Option # 2 (add DNS server IP address to the Trusted zone) Did not work for me.
    I went with Option # 1 (Uninstall the Hotfix) until A &quot;fix&quot; is provided.

Ken
    XP Pro
    FireFox 3

Thread Information