Thread: KB 951748 When will a fix be available?

frostbite Guest

Default KB 951748 When will a fix be available?

When is a fix going to be available for this KB 951748 and KB 951978 issue rather than just a work around. From what I read on BCB s website the Microsoft KB 951748 security update is essential on my computer to eliminate potential phishing scams. Therefore I am not going to be using this computer on any security sensitive websites.

I appreciate Odsod for posting ways of working around this issue so I could at least regain access to the internet but if I did not have a second computer that was not using Zone Alarm I would not have been able to access the internet to get this information. My second computer is running win98 and therefore not one I use on security sensitive websites.

Since my computer running Zone Alarm is set for automatic updates the KB 951748 update is once again waiting to be installed. This time I will try lowering Zone Alarm s Security setting to medium rather than unistalling KB 951748 and see if I still have internet access.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

prl Guest

Default Re: KB 951748 When will a fix be available?

I tried the Medium Setting which worked, I also uninstalled the Security Update, which also worked. I did find another workaround from Zone Alarm, which did not work for me. That one said to add your DNS servers' IP Address(s) to your Trusted Zone. No joy with that one at all.

garyzim Guest

I am hoping that ZoneLabs/Check Point will announce it some way. Until then, I'll have the "Updates are ready for your computer" yellow shield in my taskbar notification area. I do want to install the bad update as soon as ZoneAlarm is fixed to deal with it.

-- garyZ

captainkerosene Guest

Change your Windows Update to advise and not automatically download and install.
    You can deselect the bad update.
    When there is a fix, either by MS or Zone Labs, you can run Windows Update and it will advise that you have hiden updates.
    They can be installed later.The Zone Lab work-around that works is to uninstall the 951748 patch.
    Tried work around #2 by adding my local DNS servers to trustred zone, Internet still broken.http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html

Option 2: Uninstall the hotfix

1. Click the "Start Menu"
    2. Click "Control Panel", or click "Settings" then "Control Panel"
    3. Click on "Add or Remove Programs"
    4. On the top of the add/remove programs dialog box, you should see a checkbox that says "show updates". Select this checkbox
    5. Scroll down until you see "Security update for Windows (KB951748)"
    6. Click "Remove" to uninstall the hotfix

Option 3 (advanced technical skills required): Add your DNS servers to trusted zone
    1. From the "Overview" panel, select the "Firewall" panel then click on the "Zones" tab
    2. Click "Add", then select "IP address" from the shortcut menu. The Add IP Address dialog appears. Select "trusted" from the Zone drop-down list
    3. Type the IP address and a description in the boxes provided, then click "OK"
    4. If you are not sure what IP addresses to add:
      1. Click the Start Menu
      2. Click on Run. Type "cmd.exe"
      3. In the command prompt type: "ipconfig /all". Look for DNS Server(s) in the output of the command
      4. For each IP address listed, navigate to the "Zones" panel of the "Firewall" tab, add the IP address, select "Trusted Zone", and press "Apply"
      5. After you are done adding DNS servers click the "Apply" button

This
    option three did not work for me.

frostbite Guest

The KB 951748 security update has now been reinstalled on my computer and I have now reset Zone Alarm s Internet Security setting to medium with no internet access issues. At this time I am not planning on taking the steps to add my DNS server to the trusted zone. I will wait for a fix.

Thread Information