Thread: How do you disable ZA, re-enable XP firewall?

ronczap Guest

Default How do you disable ZA, re-enable XP firewall?

Can you disable ZoneAlarm and re-enable the Windows ZP firewall WITHOUT uninstalling ZoneAlarm?
    After CheckPoint issues a new version I intend to switch back, but for now I want to keep the Microsoft security patch installed.
    Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

cglrcng Guest

Default Re: How do you disable ZA, re-enable XP firewall?

Had to uninstall ZA...I'm relying on another firewall temporarily until ZA is fixed...I miss it already. But it wasn't ChoicePoint's fault that an industry wide patch hammered ZA 7. The DNS problem fix was more important to fix netwide.

cglrcng

Message Edited by cglrcng on 07-09-2008 02:04 PM

prl Guest

Yes. Go into Zone Alarm, on the Overview Menu Option, Select the Preferences Tab. Uncheck the box that says, "Load ZoneAlarm Pro at startup" (my version is Pro). Turn off Zone Alarm by right clicking on the icon in the taskbar and select "Shutdown ZoneAlarm Pro". A Windows Security icon should pop up in the taskbar which will allow you to go in and turn on the Windows Firewall. If not go to Start ->Control Panel and select "Security Center". Turn Windows Firewall on there.

Me, I'm going to just try the Medium setting for now. Since I'm behind a NAT router, hopefully it won't make so much a difference.

ronczap Guest

Thanks, I'll try that. I have a router too, but based on these articles http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7496735.stm
    http://www.doxpara.com/
    ,the problem addressed by the MS patch seems pretty serious.

Thread Information