Thread: Question regarding "Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem"

Hybrid View

alanb Guest

Default Question regarding "Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem"

I added a simple "custom" rule to ZAP's Internet Zone, allowing outgoing TCP on the ports neccesary for HTTP, FTP, POP, etc.

ZAP has thus far worked fine, recent Windows Updates notwithstanding.

In light of this (seemingly) simple solution, I find ZA's recommended workarounds a bit surprising...

>> Option 1: Move Internet Zone slider to Medium

That somewhat defeats the purpose of having ZA in the first place, doesn't it?

Doesn't it make more sense to keep ZA at "High" and just add the simple custom rule?

>> Option 2: Uninstall the hotfix

From what I understand, the Windows Update addresses some fairly serious security issues, thus it would seem that uninstalling it as a bad idea.

Again, doesn't it make more sense to keep Windows as patched up as possible, and just add the simple custom rule?

>> 3 (advanced technical skills required): Add your DNS servers to trusted zone

Are there advantages/disadvantages (in either the long term or the short term,) to doing it this way, as opposed to way that I did it?

Thanks for all insights!!

Alan

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

gelert Guest

Default Re: Question regarding "Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem"

I've read the latest posts that you refer to Alanb, about allowing ports for various disciplines such as Outlook 2003 / IE7 / FF2 / etc.
    A d*mn fine question you ask - I'd like to hear from an EXPERT as to whether this is a flawed or recommended course of action...because with the little knowledge that I have, I'm incredibly nervous about it.
    Am I right in thinking that once
    a port is allowed (open), that any protection the FireWall offers is somewhat negated...?
    I'm quite prepared to be shot-down-in-flames...

dgersten Guest

Default Re: Question regarding "Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem"

i did this or something similar by allowing outbound tcp connections on 80, 443, 110 and a couple of others that showed up in the firewall logs as i was running programs and they were failing.
    i felt reasonably safe doing so because i run behind a router which also functions as a stateful inspection firewall.
    my reasoning was that before the microsoft patch, when i open up a web page i am opening an outbound connection on port 80 (http) or 443 (https) or 110 (pop).
    it would be interesting for someone who understands the details to explain exactly what is broken in zonealarm by something microsoft did.

gschnauzer Guest

Default Re: Question regarding "SOMEONE AT ZA NEEDS TO DO ASAP"

At a minimum, ZA needs to email (text only as port 80 to get html is blocked)
    all customers and tell then the correct procedure that is
    super simple
    for those frustrated and
    not technical savvy
    to perform ASAP... like hours ago.

Message Edited by Gschnauzer on 07-09-2008 02:45 PM

gschnauzer Guest

I tried option 3 of the fix for Internet access after Tuesday's update ... it doesn't work! I already have my DNS Servers in the trusted Zone.
    I had to allow outbound TCP ports 25, 80, 443, and 465 to make it work!!
    Chat is back logged, so is customer service, premium support.

ssri Guest

When I ran into problem accessing internet in the afternoon, after the familiar MS update patches, I tried adding DNS servers to trusted zone. I'm not technically oriented. But I doubted whether it would work. Sure it did not. I then found a similar suggestion from ZA. It is pretty surprising they posted this option 3.

I am not happy sliding the security level to medium. I have also kept the security at the highest but allowed outbound TCP ports 25, 80, 443, and 465. It did the job but what are my downside? Can some one advise please?

I'm not sure switching Windows Firewall makes sense.

Thanks
    SSri

forum_moderator Guest

<P class=MsoNormal>Windows update causing loss of internet access 7/8/2008<xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o><P class=MsoNormal>We understand ZoneAlarm is blocking your Internet connection since installing Windows Update KB951748.ZoneAlarm by Checkpoint is aware of this issue and working to provide a permanent solution very soon. <o></o><P class=MsoNormal><o></o>As atemporary workaround for the time being, we would recommend uninstalling the Windows Update. Below is information on how to uninstall the update.<o></o><P class=MsoNormal><o></o><P class=MsoNormal>1.) Click Start -&gt; Control Panel<o></o><P class=MsoNormal>2.) Open Add or Remove Programs<o></o><P class=MsoNormal>3.) Check the checkbox at the top to Show Updates, if not already checked<o></o><P class=MsoNormal>4.) Under Windows XP - Software Updates, click Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)<o></o><P class=MsoNormal>5.) Click Remove<o></o><P class=MsoNormal>6.) Click Next on the Software Update Removal Wizard<o></o><P class=MsoNormal>7.) Click Finish to restart<o></o>

Thread Information