Thread: Question regarding "Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem" - Part Deux

alanb Guest

Default Question regarding "Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem" - Part Deux

While I appreciate the Forum-Moderator responding to my (now-locked) prior post, the response didn't answer any of the three questions that I posed.

>> As a temporary work around for the time being, we would recommend uninstalling the Windows Update.

As I stated in my prior post, from what I understand, the Windows Update addresses some fairly serious security issues, thus it would seem that uninstalling it as a bad idea.

So... doesn't it (or why doesn't it) make more sense to keep Windows as patched up as possible, and just add the simple custom rule that I described in my earlier post?

Alan

Default Re: Question regarding "Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem" - Part Deux

Hi!both imply a security risk.One on DNS spoofingand the other on allowing all software on your system to TCP out on those ports.On the first there is no PoC in the wild yet on the second it really depends on what is installed on the system.Up to you to decide. If you are behind a router, MEDIUM settings is the way to go.A patch should be out soon...Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 07-10-2008 12:43 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

alanb Guest

Default Re: Question regarding "Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem" - Part Deux

Thanks, Fax.

You're welcome!Cheers,Fax

guermantes Guest

what is PoC...?

"Proof of Concept"In better words: I simply mean that there is no exploit on the wild (yet) :8}Cheers,Fax

Thread Information