Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WinXP Update KB951748

sheryl_ren Guest

Default WinXP Update KB951748

Today I had an "issue" or problem (call it what it is) w/this update!! I called my local ISP & they helped me figure out that it was a problem with a/Zone Alarm security update.

The local Roadrunner tech
    directed me to disable Zone Alarm Security Suite. I was then able to have internet access, went to zonealarm.com & discovered that by removing the aforementioned update I was then able to
    have access to the internet again.
    When I restarted my PC the same prompt came up 4 the
    same update, so I checked the box to unselect it & chose to never be prompted again for that update!
    I've been a loyal customer to Zone Alarm for approx. 3 yrs & this is the first known problem I've had. I trust that in the future these "issues" will be resolved before I have to be faced w/a problem, which takes away valuable time from my online work!!!

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by Sheryl_Ren on 07-09-2008 03:35 PM

vollen Guest

Default Re: WinXP Update KB951748

<blockquote><hr>Sheryl_Ren wrote:
    Today I had an &quot;issue&quot; or problem (call it what it is) w/this update!! I called my local ISP &amp; they helped me figure out that it was a problem with a/Zone Alarm security update.

The local Roadrunner tech
    directed me to disable Zone Alarm Security Suite. I was then able to have internet access, went to zonealarm.com &amp; discovered that by removing the aforementioned update I was then able to
    have access to the internet again.
    When I restarted my PC the same prompt came up 4 the
    same update, so I checked the box to unselect it &amp; chose to never be prompted again for that update!
    I've been a loyal customer to Zone Alarm for approx. 3 yrs &amp; this is the first known problem I've had. I trust that in the future these &quot;issues&quot; will be resolved before I have to be faced w/a problem, which takes away valuable time from my online work!!!

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by Sheryl_Ren on 07-09-2008 03:35 PM
    <hr></blockquote>
    The problem you experienced today had NOTHING to do with ZA, but EVERYTHING to do with M$. Perhaps you should have come to this forum BEFORE you called your ISP. The advise &quot;ROADRUNNER&quot; gave you was the wrong thing to do, unless you like being naked on the net. (NO FIREWALL) So perhaps in the future you will come here first, all the REAL fans of ZA are, and are willing to help you out without leaving you vulnerable on the net. So, if I were you, I'd reinstall ZA in order to have a SAFE internet experience.

V

Hi!you can install the update of ZASS to fix your problem.You find it here:http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.htmlCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

roughyear Guest

this is ok, but it's a freckn' TRIAL version of zonealarm and you get a dang nag screen each time at bootup to purchase the dang program.... i only want the FREE version, but the free version of zonealarm is NOT working with the KB951748 update!!!!!
    the trial version uses : TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    whereas the free version uses: TrueVector version:7.0.383.000
    that in my mind is BOGUS for CheckPoint/Zonealarm not to release as a FREE VERSION!!!

Message Edited by roughyear on 07-09-2008 05:23 PM

will_pittenger Guest

In my case, my XP Pro SP3 machine locked up somewhat. I could use any program already running or start a new one as long as I had an icon on the desktop and I could get to the desktop. My taskbar didn't respond at all. Windows Media Player stopped playing. Stuff like that. Rebooting only partially solved the problem.

I also had a backup firewall (not Windows) I could use to access the Internet. It with it that I managed to reach ZA's tech support page and find out about the Update issue.

vollen Guest

<blockquote><hr>roughyear wrote:

this is ok, but it's a freckn' TRIAL version of zonealarm and you get a dang nag screen each time at bootup to purchase the dang program.... i only want the FREE version, but the free version of zonealarm is NOT working with the KB951748 update!!!!!
    the trial version uses : TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    whereas the free version uses: TrueVector version:7.0.383.000
    that in my mind is BOGUS for CheckPoint/Zonealarm not to release as a FREE VERSION!!!

Message Edited by roughyear on 07-09-2008 05:23 PM
    <hr></blockquote>
    The issue doesn't lie only with the free version, it's all versions except for the latest release of Internet Security Suite. http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...483_000_en.exe

V

finch Guest

It seems reasonable for someone without secondary internet access to contact their ISP upon loss of connectivity since they may not be able to visit any forums (however helpful). Once connected it appears the ZA advice was then found. Disabling the full security suite seems unwise but it would be prudent to use extra caution before trusting websites without a valid SSL certificate until reinstalling the OS update (which relates to spoofing through a DNS vulnerability).

will_pittenger Guest

The DNS poisoning problem I just read about?

vollen Guest

<blockquote><hr>finch wrote:
    It seems reasonable for someone without secondary internet access to contact their ISP upon loss of connectivity since they may not be able to visit any forums (however helpful). Once connected it appears the ZA advice was then found. Disabling the full security suite seems unwise but it would be prudent to use extra caution before trusting websites without a valid SSL certificate until reinstalling the OS update (which relates to spoofing through a DNS vulnerability).
    <hr></blockquote>
    Good point. However, the same exact thing happened to me, and calling my ISP was not the first or even the last thing that came to my mind. I've learned over the years that when a problem arises to do some simple problem solving. The first thing I thought of was the fact that I updated my machine with the latest M$ updates before I shut my machine down for the evening. Then, when I returned in the morning, I was unable to connect. The first thing I did was disable my ZA FireWall. Low and behold, I had net access...Then, I came here to this forum to see if anyone else was having the same issues...Low and behold, the problem was solved...All without freaking out and calling my STUPID ISP...Who would have told me to uninstall my Firewall...BAD ADVISE...

will_pittenger Guest

The problem is that Checkpoint appears to be concerned with only users that pay the most. Those of us with no money are stuck. Checkpoint comes across as holding our Internet access hostage for more money. &quot;Upgrade and we will fix the problem.&quot;

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information