Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WinXP Update KB951748

vollen Guest

Default Re: WinXP Update KB951748

<blockquote><hr>will_pittenger wrote:
    I know Free version can do the clean install. I saw that option. However, I was trying to avoid it so the new version would pick up where the old left off. ZA Pro makes the clean install easier by looking programs up on a server. ZA Free doesn't bother. So your retraining is minimal. Mine isn't.
    <hr></blockquote>
    Will, you have some serious issues and hangups about having the free version vs. the ProVersion. A clean install is something you physically have to do by using a -switch in the uninstall properties. And for the ProVersion keeping the program control on a server for the ProVersion only? (I thought everything was on the local drive) Not sure about that one, (It doesn't even make sense why it would be different for the free version) perhaps the moderator (or someone) can clear that one up for the pair of us. Good luck... and save your money, perhaps you can afford the ProVersion in no time...Ride a bike, save some gas $...LOL...

rexjim Guest

During KB951748 problem I enabled XP Firewall. Now I have the Zone Alarm fix all seems well except I now cannot disable XP's firewall.
    When I go to XP's Security Center Firewall is set to on. When I open windows firewall it says windows firewall is off however, in Security Center it shows windows firewall is on.
    When I first installed Zone Alarm security suite, Zone alarm set windows firewall to off?

will_pittenger Guest

<blockquote><hr>vollen wrote:
    Perhaps you can afford the ProVersion in no time...Ride a bike, save some gas $...LOL...
    <hr></blockquote>
    It will take more than that. I have no income due to Asperger's.

finch Guest

KB951748 was issued by Microsoft to address a broader DNS vulnerability affecting multiple vendors.
    The initial workaround posted by ZA suggested uninstalling this update but now that
    ZA versions apparently solving the connectivity problem are available it is probably time to consider reapplying the OS update.
    It has been stated that the vulnerability was responsibly reported limiting the risk of exploits for now but risks may increase over time.
    If as in the post here people have chosen never to be prompted about the update again they will need to remember to Restore hidden updates when next checking for updates.

will_pittenger Guest

I have the Security fix installed and ZA is behaving aside from I have to retrain it as to what programs to allow. Does someone know if KB951748 was due to the DNS poisoning attack?

paulz Guest

Default How to Reinstall KB951748

I uninstalled KB951748 and got ZA working again, as recommended. I updated to the ZA version that is compatible with KB951748. Now, can someone tell me how to reinstall KB951748? When I go to MS Update, it thinks I have KB951748 and I can't see where I can redownload and/or reinstall.

Edited later: I should have posted this in the following thread. It seems to address the same issue
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=34347

However, nothing in that thread enables me to reinstall KB951748.

Message Edited by PaulZ on 07-12-2008 07:46 AM

vollen Guest

Default Re: How to Reinstall KB951748

will_pittenger Guest

You could also run Microsoft Update. Just make sure you check hidden updates if you hide that update.

paulz Guest

The following gives the URL for pages to manually install the MS update. Thanks to garywa for the solution.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=34537

prof_fate Guest

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information