Thread: Removed Windows update but still no internet access?!

janej Guest

Default Removed Windows update but still no internet access?!

What do I do now? Any suggestions welcome. NB I am a complete novice - a silver surfer as well. Please don't let this stop you helping me!

I use Firefox
    Windows XP Pro
    Zone Alarm Pro

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

johnmcn Guest

Default Re: Removed Windows update but still no internet access?!

In my case, which at first was similar to yours, I had to go to my ISP's "Web Configurator" page to re-initialize my service. I have DSL through Earthlink. Contact your service provider to see what, if anything, they recommend you do after removing the MS patch.
    Good Luck!

janej Guest

Oh, I also reduced the internet security level to medium as recommended. I restarted after all this and found that the problem is still there. I made sure that the update had been deleted and it has - what else can I try?

janej Guest

Thanks for your reply. I had no help from Orange - all they recommended was turning off Zone Alarm until they sort out a solution! I might phone them again.

arttoglass Guest

Zone Alarm has posted the following to remove hotfix KB951748.It is essentially correct and pointed me in the right direction.
    Click the "Start Menu"
    Click "Control Panel", or click "Settings" then "Control Panel"
    Click on "Add or Remove Programs"
    On the top of the add/remove programs dialog box, you should see a checkbox that says "show updates". Select this check box.
    Scroll down until you see "Security update for Windows (KB951748)"
    Click "Remove" to uninstall the hotfix
    The Security update for Windows (KB951748) however didn't show up in my
    Add or Remove Programs box.
    I had to use a program called CCleaner (under tools) to find and remove "Security update for Windows (KB951748)".An uninstaller (button) was presented for removing hotfix KB951748 and it was necessary to reboot the computer.
    I also removed the check (box) for automatic updates as Microsoft Update immediately wanted to auto-reinstall same.
    All connectivity problems as described by Zone Alarm went away only after uninstalling the Microsoft hotfix KB951748.Resetting & reconfiguring my modem had no effect.
    Neither did
    removing & reinstalling Zone Alarm Pro.

Good Luck

Thread Information