Thread: Current status with NEW ZA upd. and MSFT

Hybrid View

pcsafety_larry Guest

Default Current status with NEW ZA upd. and MSFT

I hope everyone has resolved the issues on their PC with the MSFT (KB951748)and ZA updates.

I installed the new version of ZA (ZA Anti-spyware/Firewall). Verified all settings (inc. HIGH (stealth) for Firewall). Restarted PC. All looks good.

Installed the MSFT update, restarted PC, verified ZA settings again, tested IE and Mozilla FF browsers. All works. Including e-mail access to Mozilla Thunderbird. Tested e-mail from a Yahoo account to a T-Bird account and all good.

Windows XP Service Pk 2 - now with all current updates.
    (I have the MSFT auto-updates turned OFF. Always check and perform manually and twice per week).
    Zone Alarm AntiSpyware/Firewall (current)
    **bleep** Antivirus (current)

I have not yet installed MSFT Service Pack 3 - waiting a few more days to ensure all is completely good.
    Anyone already installed SPk3 along with the ZA fix and your results are perfect? Look forward to your reply.

thanks, pcsafety_larry

running on empty.........

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

sky_lynx Guest

Default Re: Current status with NEW ZA upd. and MSFT

<blockquote><hr>pcsafety_larry wrote:
    I hope everyone has resolved the issues on their PC with the MSFT (KB951748)and ZA updates.

I installed the new version of ZA (ZA Anti-spyware/Firewall). Verified all settings (inc. HIGH (stealth) for Firewall). Restarted PC. All looks good.

Installed the MSFT update, restarted PC, verified ZA settings again, tested IE and Mozilla FF browsers. All works. Including e-mail access to Mozilla Thunderbird. Tested e-mail from a Yahoo account to a T-Bird account and all good.

Windows XP Service Pk 2 - now with all current updates.
    (I have the MSFT auto-updates turned OFF. Always check and perform manually and twice per week).
    Zone Alarm AntiSpyware/Firewall (current)
    **bleep** Antivirus (current)

I have not yet installed MSFT Service Pack 3 - waiting a few more days to ensure all is completely good.
    Anyone already installed SPk3 along with the ZA fix and your results are perfect? Look forward to your reply.

thanks, pcsafety_larry

running on empty.........

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:

Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

<hr></blockquote>
    Yep, the updates/fixes
    are running perfectly fine on my MS Windows XP SP3.

pcsafety_larry Guest

Default Re: Thank You for the reply -Current status with NEW ZA upd. and MSFT

Sky_Lnyx,
    thanks for the reply.

Now that I have the new ZA asw-fw installed, I am receiving ZA popup windows with a Security Warning message stating that : the firewall has blocked internet access to your computer (telnet) from an IP-address (tcp port ##)
    (tcp Flags s). time 7-10-2008 3-18 pm

I clicked on MORE info:
    ZoneAlarm, A Check Point Software Technologies, Inc. Company ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware Alert
    Skip to SmartDefense Advisor Content Skip to SmartDefense Navigation Skip to
    SmartDefense Feedback Form
    Check Point ZoneAlarm SmartDefense Advisor Offer
    SmartDefense Advisor Overview Technical Info Details Hacker ID

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware prevented access to port 23 on your computer
    ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware has successfully stopped Internet traffic from reaching your computer. No breach in your security has occurred and your computer is safe.

What happened?
    ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware has prevented a connection to port 23 on your computer. This was
    most likely a port scan by a remote computer trying to find out if you are running
    Telnet software.

Should I be concerned?
    No. ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware has blocked the connection attempt, so no harm can come to
    your computer as a result. A port scan typically has the ability to retrieve data from
    a computer (such as what type of operating system you are using) even if a connection
    attempt failed. Because you are using ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware, no details regarding your
    computer have been made available to the individual who initiated the port scan. That
    individual has most likely moved on to seek out computers which are not protected.

What should I do?
    No action on your part is necessary. If ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware had not been protecting your computer, an intruder could have initiated additional reconnaissance techniques to define your computer as a potential target.

I replied that each screen info was helpful and clicked OK on the popup warning window.

Have you received any of these message ???? THANK YOU.

sky_lynx Guest

I believe on an older computer that I have, I have seen those blocked access messages right after updating ZASS from 5.0 to 6.0 or something. I am thinking that somehow the installation process was corrupted or something. Ever since then, any program that wanted internet access, even Internet Explorer and Generic Host 32 had a popup asking for access. Even checking the box that was for always allow didn't work, so I uninstalled it manually and installed the latest version. It is now working. I am not sure if it's a similar problem to yours, it might just be servers communicating with your computer.

a_m Guest

Somehow, your alert/logging preference got changed.

In ZoneAlarm, on the &quot;Alerts &amp; Logs&quot; tab, on the &quot;Main&quot; tab, the first group of radio buttons is &quot;Alert Events Shown&quot;. Click the &quot;Off&quot; radio button to stop showing you these popups.

Depending on your network configuration, it may be of some concern that someone is probing your telnet port, though ZA is doing its job by blocking it.

rachowj Guest

Default Re: Current status with NEW ZA upd. and MSFT

Convince me why you would need to install SP3 if you already have SP2 and have been regularly installing Microsoft updates? Microsoft claims SF3 will not significantly improve your XP experience and only adds a few minor new functionalities. What we need is a really neat efficient way to do a clean XP reinstall and still have all previously used software in place and working correctly. Though I doubt this is technically possible.

Thread Information