Thread: Installed ZA Security Suite update, then MS update, but MS update is not there

Hybrid View

jeffx Guest

Default Installed ZA Security Suite update, then MS update, but MS update is not there

Hello,
    After finding out about this new
    Zone Alarm problem, I did the following:
    Downloaded and installed the new Security Suite update. Restarted computer.
    Then I downloaded the microsoft updates. Restarted Computer.
    I have no problem with the internet, but I cannot find the new microsoft XP updates in add/remove programs. I went to the MS update site, and it's not indicating that I need the newest update that
    has been causing all the access problems.
    So,
    how do I know if it is installed? I'm
    not getting the security shield either (have mine set to notify but do not automatically download).
    Thanks for any info!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

taxmanbol Guest

Default Re: Installed ZA Security Suite update, then MS update, but MS update is not there

This looks like the closest thread to my issue. I uninstalled the KB951748 update yesterday. Now I have downloaded and installed the ZAPro fix and I am ready to reinstall the KB951748 update but the shield disappeared from my tray when I rebooted and the MS update website says I am up to date and the KB951748 update has been installed even though I uninstalled it. How can I get the KB951748 update reinstalled

rachowj Guest

Default Re: Installed ZA Security Suite update, then MS update, but MS update is not there

I think if the update "still" shows up on the "add/remove software" list, it is actually installed. I went through this yesterday, verified it was gone. Later I found that it had reappeared. In any case the ZA update fix issued today is installed on my machine with both of yesterday's Microsoft updates installed.

On another of our machines, where Update is marked to notify only, not install, the offending Update was installed without user permission.

Sometimes I think the sense of being in control of everything is an illusion.

sgt_bilko Guest

Same problem here. My in-law's PC was set up to do automatic Windows updates, then the dreaded MS security fix snafu was downloaded (automatically of course), I had to go uninstall it because of course their I-net connection was killed by the MS update, then install the latest ZAISS version, then re-install the MS security fix for Windows XP.

The only thing is, now in Windows Add/Remove programs there are ZERO security updates listed for Windows XP. And yes I do have the "Show Updates" box checked already. Something in this install/uninstall/install sequence has messed up the add/remove programs list big time regarding XP Security updates only. Prior to this sequence there were many many security updates for Windows XP listed, I know this was the case before because I help them maintain their PC. All other programs are still listed in Add/remove programs, including MS security updates for MS Office, but all the XP ones have evaporated.

taxmanbol Guest

OK I figured it out. Go to control panel and select "Windows update" on the left side of the page. When the microsoft page loads select the "Custom" button. When that page loads select the "Review Other Updates" button. That page then presents a list of high priority updates that are available for download including the recently uninstalled KB951748 update which you can now select and install.

Hey look at me I'm a tech guru.

paulz Guest

I selected Windows Update and then Custom as you suggested. Unfortunately, the page that loads has no "Review Other Updates" button. I'm left with Windows Update saying I installed the fix even though I uninstalled it. When I look at installed updates under Add/Remove programs, the removed update does not appear on the list.

garywa Guest

Like many of you, I uninstalled the 2 MS updates while I waited for a fix.
    When ZA announced a fix for ZASS, which is the version I have, I downloaded and installed it selecting the "Update" option.
    It installed fine.
    I then went back to the MS update web page and re-downloaded and re-installed the 2 MS security updates, again, with no problem.
    I started IE7 and verified that I had internet access.
    All was and is still working just fine.
    I went to WinXP Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and found both MS updates relisted.
    See a screen image here: http://gwa2001.home.att.net/Add-Remove.jpg
    Make sure you are scrolling far enough down the list.

rachowj Guest

When you are in Control Panel -> add/remove software, make sure the checkbox at the very top "show updates" is checked. Otherwise Microsoft Updates and Hotfixes do not show up in the list. Depending on how long you have been running XP on your machine the number of updates may be quite lot. On my machine the updates are listed toward the bottom of a very long list.

jeffx Guest

Yes, I checked the updates box, but the last update was installed on June 21. So, I don't know what happened to the latest "offending" update. Strange...very strange...

Thread Information