Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZAPro update (483) restored internet access but user interface completely frozen

timeforachange Guest

Default ZAPro update (483) restored internet access but user interface completely frozen

Thought I'd "bump" this issue from page 3 in the hopes that someone has a suggestion.

Here's the problem some of us seem to be having: I installed the ZAPro update (483) and now have internet access, but the ZAPro interface (and tray icon) are completely frozen and unresponsive. This happens whether I have the MS updates installed or not. I've tried completely removing ZAPro from my computer, including registry and hidden entries and then doing a clean install with no success. I've also tried going back to the earlier version (470) with the MS updates uninstalled and this also freezes up now. So while the program seems ok as long as it's running in the background, the UI is unusable. Any help would be appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: ZAPro update (483) restored internet access but user interface completely frozen

<blockquote><hr>timeforachange wrote:
    Thought I'd "bump" this issue from page 3 in the hopes that someone has a suggestion.

Here's the problem some of us seem to be having: I installed the ZAPro update (483) and now have internet access, but the ZAPro interface (and tray icon) are completely frozen and unresponsive. This happens whether I have the MS updates installed or not. I've tried completely removing ZAPro from my computer, including registry and hidden entries and then doing a clean install with no success. I've also tried going back to the earlier version (470) with the MS updates uninstalled and this also freezes up now. So while the program seems ok as long as it's running in the background, the UI is unusable. Any help would be appreciated.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

<hr></blockquote>
    What other security and management software is running or previously uninstalled, as these maybe causing the problem.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

adama_wannabe Guest

Default Re: ZAPro update (483) restored internet access but user interface completely frozen

I also have the same problem on my daughters PC running Win XP no other security software.
    a) installed ..483... version as update as suggested to resolve kb951785 zonelarm issue.
    b) rebooted PC
    c) PC became very, very sluggish and froze when accessing internet via IE or firefox as well as other program access.
    d)rebooted several times and no change, recovered PC &amp; internet access by shutting down zonealarm
    e) I uninstalled ZA suite and recovered functionality after reboot.

If the windows update changed the usual needed files for networking/internet, then the ZA will not see the changes and continue to use the previously known files and ignore the newer files. Even though the file names and locations are still the same from before, now the file size and checksums no longer match.

To solve this, just reset the ZA database and the ZA will be "fresh" as when it was first installed:
    [*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Once this is finished, reboot back into the normal mode and in the new network found windows, set the new network to Trusted.
    Then do this to ensure the ZA is setup properly:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ndallas Guest

Default Re: ZAPro update (483) did not resolve internet access issues

I experienced the same and had to do a second reboot.

Internet access is still blocked if the Firewall Internet Zone Security setting is at MAX position.

It works OK if you move the slider to the MED position, which was the recommended workaround to the whole Microsoft DNS lookup issue after the patch was installed earlier this week.

New 483 version did not fix the issue on my two PC's (a desktop and a laptop running XP Home with all upgrades installed.)

ndallas Guest

I have a corporate enterprise version of McAffee virus software installed on a laptop and ZA only on another desktop.

Doing a complete clean uninstall on my laptop, disabling McAffee virus software, and doing a 'fresh' install of the 483 version still blocked internet access on my laptop in the MAX setting.

timeforachange Guest

Thanks for the response. I have Eset NOD32 anti-virus and PC Tools Spyware Dcotor also installed. There was never any problem until this MS update/ZoneAlarm issue.

timeforachange Guest

I've done this, but it doesn't solve my problem. Internet access is fine with the 483 update, but the ZAPro interface is unusable since any time I open a ZA window it freezes on the screen and is unresponsive. I have tried multiple clean installs with no luck.

adama_wannabe Guest

That worked. Initially had problems b/c I tried to re-install ZA under my profile instead of my daughter's profile which resulted in partial installation and no internet accesss. Safe mode to uninstall. Reinstalled in my daughter's profile and it worked like a charm...483 works no problem. Thanks!

jstevens Guest

Long time ago, can't even remember which ZA version or what software it was, but I updated ZA and instantly started having the same thing you're describing.
    Turned out to be a software conflict.
    You might want to try going into msconfig (or whatever your favorite way of a clean boot is - I think the new ZA is supposed to work even in safe mode w/networking) and disable your startup programs, then reboot and see if ZA is happier.
    If that does the trick, then by trial and error narrow down the prog that's causing the prob, and then you can write a .bat file or if you don't know how, there are programs even free ones I think that will do it...anyway what you want is to let ZA start FIRST, which means you need some kind of way to delay that other program from starting until ZA has &quot;done its thing&quot;.
    I think I remember having about 20 seconds delay to fix my prob.Good LuckJS//

Message Edited by JStevens on 07-11-2008 09:47 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information