Thread: tried suggested fixes - still having problems

jazzcat Guest

Default tried suggested fixes - still having problems

After four hours of uninstalling, reinstalling, and rebooting I now have only brief internet access after a reboot (approx. 3-5 minutes), then no access.
    The steps I took, as best as I can recall:
    1. Changed Internet Zone setting from High to Medium. Access restored.
    2. Installed
      ZoneAlarm update (prompted by ZoneAlarm), which I had been putting off for a few days, thinking maybe that would fix it and I could change my setting back to High. Did not work. Brief internet access after reboot. Setting at Medium.
    3. Uninstalled the Windows update - no change.
    4. Installed latest ZoneAlarm fix - version 7.483 - Brief access with setting at High or Medium.
    5. Reinstalled the Windows update - no change.
    6. Uninstalled ZoneAlarm completely. Reinstalled. no change.
    7. Uninstalled Windows update again - no change.

I may have tried one or two other things, but I'm left with only brief access after a reboot (but not after every reboot). Occasionally, access will return for about 30 seconds. Very unhappy! Thanks for any help!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

second_chance Guest

Default Re: tried suggested fixes - still having problems

The new version of Zone Alarm free fixed the matter for me. 7.0.483 same for the True Vector security version engine and the Driver Version. Install the 7.0.483 version of Zone Alarm my friend. That fixed the situation and I am able to access and stay on line. I am running both anti-virus software and anti-spyware too with no problem.

jazzcat Guest

Well, 7.0.483 is currently installed and, from just talking to my wife at home, it sounds like Windows automatically reinstalled the update again. Access still drops after a couple of minutes. Seems like it should be back to normal at this point.

second_chance Guest

I turned off the install updates automatically in the windows update so that I can do the installing manually. You may find that exercising control over when you install the updates from microsoft to be in your advantage. I have been told that microsoft sometimes gives updates with out checking out the bugs and then has to release new updates later to fix there problem. At this point I am reluctant to download any of microsoft's windows updates. I do not want to get burned again.

spicerme Guest

How do you turn off the automatic updates from Microsoft?

naivemelody Guest

Default How do you turn off the automatic updates from Microsoft

With XP: click lower left 'Start' > Control Panel > Security Center > see 'Manage security settings for:'
    >

'Automatic Updates' &gt; change settings from 'Automatic' = off / clear circle.<hr>
    &gt; now you will have three choices, best choice &gt; &quot;Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.&quot;
    { this is what I use }. With this, every MS update will give a small yellow icon in system tray - when it's ready. Now you will have the ultimate power to choose which and when MS update you need/ want.&gt; press 'OK'
    &gt; Apply.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 7-11-08 - Do Ya - Electric Light Orchestra

second_chance Guest

Default Re: How do you turn off the automatic updates from Microsoft

Actually, I found a better way of adjusting the updates. Go to Start - open menu -- move your cursor to my computer -- right click -- scroll down to properties for My Computer -- left click on properties -- that will open a window that says System Properties -- Next to System Restore top row is Automatic Updates -- click on the Automatic Updates tab-- another window will open -- with in this window there are four choices -- click on the &quot;Notify me but don't automatically download or install them. I have been told that it is a good idea to wait several days before downloading and then installing the windows update, as Microsoft may come out with fixes during those 2 days that will save us a lot of time aggravation and energy. I hope the detail has been helpful my friend.

Have a pleasant weekend.

Craig

newsposter Guest

What i did after uninstalling this MS patch was run windows update and find that exact KB and checked the 'dont show me this again' box for that patch

therefore i still get notified of all the other MS patches but this one wont come up again.

Thread Information