Thread: Zone Alarm uses all cpu cycles

jopa Guest

Default Zone Alarm uses all cpu cycles

Zone Alarm True Vector, Processor Scanning uses all of the processor cycles ( 95 - 100 %). Shutting down Zone Alarm removes this problem. This is true for the current new version and the previous version.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by jopa on 07-11-2008 08:14 AM

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm uses all cpu cycles

Make certain that you have no other firewall (including Windows Firewall), anti-virus, anti-spyware, or Security Suite actively loaded and running.
    If not, then do a database reset:
    1) Ctrl + Shift right-click on ZoneAlarm System Tray icon

2) Click Reset in popup box

3) Click Yes in Reset Settings dialog box

4) Click OK when prompted to reboot

5) Follow onscreen prompts after reboot

If that doesn't work, you need to do a clean reinstall:
    1) Append " /clean /rmlicense" (without quotes) to ZoneAlarm uninstall shortcut target

2) Reboot into, and continue in, Safe Mode with Internet until installed ZoneAlarm requests first reboot

3) Uninstall from shortcut

4) http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

5) Install ZoneAlarm

rredrock Guest

Jopa, have you had any success with HammerNU's solutions?
    I am having exactly the same problem-- what a PITA.

rredrock Guest

A plain uninstall / reinstall, via the "Uninstall" option in the program group worked for me.

williamspamtrap Guest

This is the ZoneAlarm uninstall shortcut target "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" and this " /clean /rmlicense" is what you say to append to it.

The result would be "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe /clean /rmlicense" which does not look correct to me.

It mixes forward "/" and back slashes "\" and has spaces in the code.
    Please tell me if this is correct or incorrect code.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>WilliamSpamtrap wrote:
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe /clean /rmlicense" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Almost there:"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense
    Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jopa Guest

I have not had a chance to try this fix.

I have been out of town.

bthere Guest

I have the same problem, and also had it with the previous version I was running (7.0.462).

Task Manager shows that vsmon and zlclient together consume over 90% of the CPU, for as much as 10 minutes, approximately once an hour. The consumption is more-or-less balanced (i.e., there is no pattern as to which of the two consumes more than the other).

When I logged the problem with ZA Tech Support, they claimed it was a conflict with some other (unidentified) program, and wanted me to solve it, by turning off all startup programs using msconfig, and turning them back on, one by one.

Since the problem occurs only approximately hourly, that would take a huge investment of my time, and would make my machine unusable for the duration of that effort. (There is nothing at-all unusual running on it, and the only things running on it are essential. Even turning off all the standard Microsoft stuff, and turning it back on at the rate of one program an hour, would take many hours of research, using that strategy.)

Needless to say, I was not interested in doing their research. If they believe it is a conflict, they should at least be able to identify, from their experience as support professionals, and from their knowledge of the code, what the plausible conflicts are, in a &quot;vanilla&quot; environment like this.

I was hoping that they would have found and resolved it in the new version, but apparently not... although I *think* that when it happens, it doesn't last as long. However, that's based on less than 2 hours' experience with 7.0.483, so we'll see!

(The behavior ... with BOTH ZoneAlarm processes consuming CPU like mad ... strongly suggests that the two are competing against each other, not against something else! No other processes are using significant amounts of CPU, nor does any other resource seem to be a bottleneck.)

jopa Guest

My problem seems to be different than the one you describe. When True Vector-&gt;Process Scanning becomes activated by going on line in the internet all of the CPU cycles are consumed. This makes the machine unusable all of the time.

I went on vacation and hooked up my laptop to the hotel's wireless network. I discovered that there were open ports and visible ports even though I had the setting to run in the highest mode (supposedly stealth mode). That is when all of the problems started.

bthere Guest

I just realized you are running ZASS, while I am running ZAP, so the problems may be distinct (although with similar symptoms).

I also found a more-extensive thread, including additional reports that more-specifically match yours:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=29274

Thread Information