Thread: Windows Media Player

greeneggsandham Guest

Default Windows Media Player

Hello,

I've recently been through the access denied issue. I temporarily got though it by setting ZoneAlarms Internet Zone to medium. After the 483 release I uninstalled 473, I think it was 473 anyway. Rebooted and installed 483, opting out of the auto seek and setup option, preferring to handle each item and program individually as it popped up.

A little background information: Running XP Pro SP3. All patches and updates applied, excepting .net framework 1.1. I have DNS set to Open Domain Name Server (Open DNS) in Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties. ZoneAlarm home free edition, release 483. I think that's all that's relevant here but I will post more pertinent information as requested.

Now the problem. Windows Media Player 11.0.5721.5145 has internet access in spite of me setting four red X's (block) in the Program Control section. Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has Internet and Trusted Access allowed, Server Trusted allowed, and Server Internet blocked. Though "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" is the only visible way I can see that Windows Media Player could initiate a download of an .mpg file and play it.

I suggest that Microsoft has maybe in a round about way bypassed ZoneAlarm or perhaps it's an issue with ZoneAlarm. I respectfully submit this so the experts can look, talk it over, and decide if anything needs to be done or said.

On a side note, Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) was granted Trusted and Internet Access without permission or asking me.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that my browser was probably downloading the file and then Windows Media Player playing the file from cache. Also my mistake not to mention I am using Opera 9.51. The subject can be considered resolved as far as ZoneAlarm is concerned. Topic may be deleted at moderator discretion. My only defense is that it is a change in Opera browser behavior, must have come with the 9 series.

Regards,
    Brian K.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

Message Edited by GreenEggsAndHam on 07-11-2008 06:36 PM

Default Re: Windows Media Player - SOLVED

Hi!thank you for reporting and editing your own message with an update.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information