Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZA Updates to Windows ("No Internet Access") - Beware of wiping out your PC!!

chicknew Guest

Default Re: ZA Updates to Windows ("No Internet Access") - Beware of wiping out your PC!!

ChickNew, Congrats! I've also been using Acronis (True Image) in very recent times... set up for incremental updates daily... haven't yet ventured into restoring the entire drive but that likely will be a next step for me... Being new with Acronis I first need to create data backups by conventional means - just to be safe.

I back up all data files daily, between two computers, not using Acronis, but using Laplink. I also back up data files to an external hard drive. I have only used Acronis for total system backups. This was my first attempt to restore a backed up system with Acronis and it works beautifully. I have, for years, used Norton Ghost for backups/restore and that has also worked wonderfully. Unfortunately, the version I own (2003) won't back up to external drives that are larger than 120 gigs (I don't know why). So....to be safe, I occasionally make two system backups...one via Acronis and the other via Ghost (the latter on a 120 gig drive, the former on a different, 500 gig drive). This type of software has saved me many frustrating, time-consuming days I would otherwise have spent reinstalling the OS, many codecs (video and audio) and more than 50 programs, each with updates and addons, as well as tweaking each of these to function and appear according to my desired specs. I highly recommend it.

Chick

rodrigt Guest

Default Re: ZA Updates to Windows ("No Internet Access") - Beware of wiping out your PC!!

Secretary,> already have two administrators on this computer; neither show up in user accounts---- Wow, sorry to hear that; hopefully with any other admin account you will be able to find all your data files to avoid the pain of reloading Windows. That was a worse crash than mine, my admin account got mutilated but it still showed. Yet on my Laptop the
    mysterious changes were negligible and the ZA update worked ok - go figure.
    > I attempted to do a restore with acronis only to find that none of the backup files would open.---- 'Backup files' or a drive image? I am very new to Acronis, yet very pleased that the Buut CD easily found the image on the external drive and restored it flawlesly. Before that nothing I tried, including Windows Restore did anything to repair the damage,
    > Is ZA to blame or is it the Windows patch?---- The part of killing Internet access was bound to happen (I doubt that M$ would intentionally sabotage ZA, as that puts the Windows vulnerability back in the limelight). However, it was definitely ZA's update that caused the crashes.

chicknew Guest

I didn't do anything heroic. I went onto the Windows Update site after restoring the computer, to download all the updates that have been available since the time I made the backup image (in March). Windows Update then provided a long list of security and other updates that I needed to install. I unchecked the box for KB951748, indicating that I do not want that update downloaded/installed on my computer ever. All the other updates could be downloaded and installed automatically, as before.

So...I still keep my ZA Internet Security zone and Trusted zone each set to ">High">. I feel that this firewall setting is more important than the protection afforded by KB951748, though in truth, I have no data to prove this. I never will be using that Windows update unless 1) Zone Alarm issues a safe, fully and equally functional firewall that allows installation of the Windows update without blocking internet access and without ruining a perfectly good system configuration OR 2) I find another firewall application that works as well as Zone Alarm...BUT...in the presence of the update. Any ideas on what other firewalls are as good as Zone Alarm (but without the problems encountered with installation of the the KB951748 ">fix">)?

Chick

rodrigt Guest

ChikNew,Thanks for the update. Thankfully Acronis restored my (June 24th) image and I'm back running OK. I've opted for temporarily suspending auto updates from both Windows and ZA on my PC & Laptop. From this scare I am cleaning out both machines from unnecessary files & applications, defrag, chkdsk /r, etc in order to make a new (leaner) Acronis image with daily incremental backups.
    > Any ideas on what other firewalls are as good as Zone Alarm (but without the problems encountered with installation of the the KB951748 ">fix">)?
    -- If were to reach the point of wanting to replace ZA, aside from going to the reviews at PCWorld.com, PCMag, etc I would look into AVG (www.grisoft.com/). I have not tried their firewall, but for the past few years I've been impressed with the flawless performance of their free antivirus and antispyware; I've been running them concurrently with ZA's antivirus/spyware and have never had a problem, thus I would expect their firewall to also be very good. (Over time I have found that no protective system ever catches all threats, thus I also use Spybot, Spywareblaster and AdAware.).

chicknew Guest

Thanks for the information about AVG. I am using their free antivirus program now and it is really good. I am looking for an equally good firewall, free if possible. Are there any other free, high quality (like ZA was) firewall applications that people have used and can recommend (or not)?? With grisoft.com, you have to buy the combo product, PLUS a subscription (one or two years).

Thanks very much.

Chick

secretary Guest

You guys are great, thanks for all the info.
    Haven't had the time to set up a new admin a/c yet but will give it a try as soon as I can.
    My acronis was a full system backup, but when I went to restore, all the files were corrupted although I had verified them. Admittedly, I am new to Acronis so it was probably something I did wrong, so I will try again as soon as I can get this mess cleared up. The worse part is that all my Outlook appointments, on which I rely, have also been wiped and I now have to reconfigure the **bleep** thing and see if there is a log of the appointments somewhere.
    Thanks for all your advise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information